Hitachi releases 500 GB HDD for notebooks
Hitachi announced the release of the world’s highest capacity 2.5-inch mobile hard drive, with a capacity of 500 GB.
The Travelstar 5K500, available in either a 400GB or 500GB model, is the fourth-generation Hitachi mobile drive to use perpendicular magnetic recording technology. Travelstar 5K500 drives are available with a 3.0Gb/s Serial ATA (SATA) interface for enhanced system performance.
Hitachi will also offer an enhanced-availability (EA) version, called the Travelstar E5K500 — also available in both 400GB and 500GB capacities — which is designed for applications requiring 24×7 operation in lower transaction environments, such as blade servers, network routers, point-of-sale terminals and video surveillance systems.
The Travelstar 5K500 will be available worldwide in February. The Travelstar E5K500 will be available by the end of the second quarter, 2008.
Technical Specifications of Travelstar 5K00 are the following:
- 400/500 GB
- 12.5 mm in height
- 5400 RPM
- 260 billion bits per square inch maximum areal density
- 3 glass disk platter (s)
- 6 TMR recording head(s)
- 1000 G/1ms non-operating shock
- 400 G/2ms operating shock
- 5.5 ms average latency
- 12 ms average read time
- 0.95 W active idle
- 0.7 W low-power idle
- 1.8 W idle power (EA version only)
- Serial ATA 3.0Gb/s, 1.5Gb/s encrypted
- 148 grams in weight
- 2.2 Bels typical idle acoustics
- 2.4 Bels typical operational acoustics
There are 0 comments
Most popular headlines
- Tue 14 Oct 05:10 by DoMiN8ToR
The Chromium issue tracker has revealed a hidden gem today, a screenshot posted ...
- Fri 17 Oct 06:10 by DoMiN8ToR
Google today released the second version of Android L Preview. The latest versio...
- Mon 13 Oct 05:10 by DoMiN8ToR
Movie Panda, an application available for Windows and MacOSx streams more than 1...
- Tue 14 Oct 04:10 by DoMiN8ToR
The company iSIGHT and Microsoft have disclosed that a dangerous vulnerability e...
- Wed 15 Oct 05:10 by DoMiN8ToR
Google appears to have delisted all Android issues that were posted in the Chrom...