Hitachi releases 500 GB HDD for notebooks
Hitachi announced the release of the world’s highest capacity 2.5-inch mobile hard drive, with a capacity of 500 GB.
The Travelstar 5K500, available in either a 400GB or 500GB model, is the fourth-generation Hitachi mobile drive to use perpendicular magnetic recording technology. Travelstar 5K500 drives are available with a 3.0Gb/s Serial ATA (SATA) interface for enhanced system performance.
Hitachi will also offer an enhanced-availability (EA) version, called the Travelstar E5K500 — also available in both 400GB and 500GB capacities — which is designed for applications requiring 24×7 operation in lower transaction environments, such as blade servers, network routers, point-of-sale terminals and video surveillance systems.
The Travelstar 5K500 will be available worldwide in February. The Travelstar E5K500 will be available by the end of the second quarter, 2008.
Technical Specifications of Travelstar 5K00 are the following:
- 400/500 GB
- 12.5 mm in height
- 5400 RPM
- 260 billion bits per square inch maximum areal density
- 3 glass disk platter (s)
- 6 TMR recording head(s)
- 1000 G/1ms non-operating shock
- 400 G/2ms operating shock
- 5.5 ms average latency
- 12 ms average read time
- 0.95 W active idle
- 0.7 W low-power idle
- 1.8 W idle power (EA version only)
- Serial ATA 3.0Gb/s, 1.5Gb/s encrypted
- 148 grams in weight
- 2.2 Bels typical idle acoustics
- 2.4 Bels typical operational acoustics
There are 0 comments
Most popular headlines
- Tue 9 Sep 06:09 by DoMiN8ToR
Paramount Pictures will release the first Blu-ray movie featuring Dolby Atmos th...
- Fri 12 Sep 12:09 by DoMiN8ToR
The popular mobile radio app TuneIn receives a lot of negative comments after th...
- Wed 10 Sep 03:09 by DoMiN8ToR
TDMore today announced the availability of "Free DVD Copy" which allow...
- Fri 12 Sep 07:09 by DoMiN8ToR
Xbox One owners complain about noise coming out of their game console. The issue...
- Thu 11 Sep 05:09 by DoMiN8ToR
Several German websites have been provided with new screenshots of Windows 9. Th...