Hitachi releases 500 GB HDD for notebooks
Hitachi announced the release of the world’s highest capacity 2.5-inch mobile hard drive, with a capacity of 500 GB.
The Travelstar 5K500, available in either a 400GB or 500GB model, is the fourth-generation Hitachi mobile drive to use perpendicular magnetic recording technology. Travelstar 5K500 drives are available with a 3.0Gb/s Serial ATA (SATA) interface for enhanced system performance.
Hitachi will also offer an enhanced-availability (EA) version, called the Travelstar E5K500 — also available in both 400GB and 500GB capacities — which is designed for applications requiring 24×7 operation in lower transaction environments, such as blade servers, network routers, point-of-sale terminals and video surveillance systems.
The Travelstar 5K500 will be available worldwide in February. The Travelstar E5K500 will be available by the end of the second quarter, 2008.
Technical Specifications of Travelstar 5K00 are the following:
- 400/500 GB
- 12.5 mm in height
- 5400 RPM
- 260 billion bits per square inch maximum areal density
- 3 glass disk platter (s)
- 6 TMR recording head(s)
- 1000 G/1ms non-operating shock
- 400 G/2ms operating shock
- 5.5 ms average latency
- 12 ms average read time
- 0.95 W active idle
- 0.7 W low-power idle
- 1.8 W idle power (EA version only)
- Serial ATA 3.0Gb/s, 1.5Gb/s encrypted
- 148 grams in weight
- 2.2 Bels typical idle acoustics
- 2.4 Bels typical operational acoustics
There are 0 comments
Most popular headlines
- Thu 17 Apr 10:04 by Seán Byrne
While we often hear about privacy concerns with storing data in the cloud such a...
- Mon 21 Apr 01:04 by DoMiN8ToR
Russian pirate group WZOR leaked additional information about Windows 9 and anot...
- Fri 18 Apr 06:04 by DoMiN8ToR
Toshiba claims it has developed world’s fastest microSD cards. The cards a...
- Mon 21 Apr 04:04 by Wendy Robertson
Review: Toshiba HG6 256GB SSD Reviewed b...
- Thu 17 Apr 10:04 by DoMiN8ToR
The Chromium issue tracker reveals a screenshot of a Nexus 5 running Android 4.4...