Film and music industry caught pirating movies and games

Posted 28 December 2012 16:32 CET by Liggy

On behalf of TorrentFreak, the Bittorrent monitoring company scaneye found out that also those are guilty of copyright infringement, who claim that they are suffering most from other people copying their content.

The data from Scaneye reveals that piracy is not only a matter for regular end users but also within the movie studios itself. Torrentfreak show downloads for e.g. “Battle Force 2012“, “Happy Feet 2“, “Sons of Anarchy“, “The Hunger Games” from Paramount, “Navy CIS“, “The Expendables 2” and adult entertainment motion pictures from Warner Bros., “Top Chef“, “Rizzoli & Isles“, “Ice Age – Continental Drift” from Sony Pictures and “Downtown Abbey“, “The Fast and the Furious 6” or “Step Up Revolution” from Walt Disney Studios. Maybe these are the companies where the MPAA should start their work when going after piracy.

But not only the movie companies have been found actively downloading content, also music industry employees were caught pirating content. We can see downloads for “The Cleveland Show“, “Masterpiece Theatre” and “Adventure Time” from Universal Music Group, “Gossip Girl“, “The Possession” and XBOX360 game “Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions” from Sony Music Entertainment and “Suits“, “House at the end of the Street” and “Finding Nemo” from Warner Music Group.

But if that was not enough, we can find the recent inventor of a six-strikes scheme – the US Department of Justice who should rather focus on minimizing errors when going after people in the list with downloads for “Talking Dead“, “The Voice” and “Bourne Legacy“.
Further examples are “The Good Dinosaur” and “Home and Away” from Department of Homeland Security, “Army Wives” from the Army Air Force Exchange Services and “Game of Thrones“, “Unititled Chronicles of Riddick Sequel” and “Person of Interest” from the US House of Representatives.

The figures from TorrentFreak do not show download counts, so it is unclear how frequent downloads from the mentioned companies are, but it clearly shows that those who try to fight illegal downloads are even suffering from in-house piracy or in some cases piracy of content from competitors.

Chrislove22
Posted on: 28 Dec 12 18:46
Poll: Which company's employees have the best taste in pirated content?

debro
Blown to smitherines
Posted on: 28 Dec 12 19:51
rotflcopter ... again?

TSJnachos117
Posted on: 29 Dec 12 20:49
"Ge, how should I get my movies/games/music? I know I represent the company that happens to be releasing this content. I probably have some kind of employee discount. I know, maybe I should just break the law and pirate my company's own crap. Yeah, that's a great plan" -some random hypocrite.

Perhaps one day, if the planets alight just right, they will learn.

olyteddy
Senior Moderator
Posted on: 29 Dec 12 23:58
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSJnachos117

Perhaps one day, if the planets alight just right, they will learn.
Or maybe they'll just download one of the virus infested decoy files their superiors put out there...Onto the company network!!!

ChristineBCW
MyCE Die Hard
Posted on: 30 Dec 12 12:10
When I started playing on P2Ps back in 2003, I thought if a studio REALLY wanted to stop downloads, they would actually hop in and supply dozens, even hundreds, of 'User IDs' that would send out corrupted files. Let downloaders spend their hours, days, weeks, months doing downloads, only to play them back and discover shabby video quality here or there, bad audio, skipped parts, etc.

Of course, there are actually few theft-losses in any industry that match embezzlement (insider) losses. In the retail world, "shoplifting" is a well-publicized crime but retail owners know employees and contractors are behind 90% of "stolen merchandise" claims.

And certainly in the RIAA (and probably the MPAA), no one is a bigger thief than the studio execs and their accounting systems.

I think the MPAA is doing it 100% wrong - they need to flood the on-line services with their movies. "And if you want to see a GREAT version of it, buy a ticket - go enjoy the big-screen experience instead of your 3-inch handheld." Or for many cowards, it's probably not even 3 inches.

yojimbo197
Posted on: 30 Dec 12 21:30
It's definitely hard to trust the RIAA and MPAA, since their figures seem to be at odds with most of the independent studies that have come out on the effects of piracy on their profits. "Trust us, we are losing money." Only their accounting seems to be off. In some cases WAY off. Take the instance of New Line Cinemas, who funded the LOTR trilogy. They signed a contract with the Tolkien estate to pay 7.5% of the movies earnings. New Line made $6 billion. Yet they claimed that they lost money on the films and only wrote a check for $62,500. After 4 years of litigation, they finally ponied up $100 million, which is still less than the $450 million they were supposed to receive.