Microsoft admits scratch problem with Xbox 360

Posted 15 April 2007 23:44 CET by DoMiN8ToR

There are many sites on the internet describing a typical Xbox 360 problem: the console scratches game discs. Some users are reporting that the scratches were enough to make their game disc obsolete. There hasn’t been much discussion on the fact that the problem exists by consumers, but untill now Microsoft has always somewhat denied the problem and never proposed a solution.

The Dutch television show Kassa, which deals with customer complaints, has been nagging Microsoft about this problem for several weeks, they did tests with Xbox360 setups and filmed (and proofed) that the Xbox360 is indeed responsible for scratching game discs, when not moved, placed on a stable table and under the best possible conditions.

According to the show, the majority of the problems seem to be caused by a TSST drive that is missing parts that stabilize the disc. The problem also seems to be mainly found by consoles produced in December 2006. Estimated is that worldwide nearly 1 to 2 million units are affected.

Thousands of people responded to the show complaining about the same problem and Microsoft simply had to act.

In a press statement the company stated: "As we were not involved with the experiment of Kassa and have little insights in the testing methods, we are not able to respond in detail on the results. It is possible that scratches on discs originate from frequent use. However, we have no indication that the results of the tests from Kassa are a large scale problem.

Of course it is important to us that our customers have the best possible game experience and therefore we take these test results very serious. Xbox owners who think their discs are scratched as reported by Kassa, should contact us. We will investigate the console and when needed repair it so it becomes a full functioning console. We will also inform Xbox owners how they can obtain replacements discs in case they require them."

The television show also reported that while this issue is now an issue in the Netherlands (it is also widely covered in regular news), it could become a global problem for Microsoft in the future. Therefore I would recommend anyone who is facing the same problem to contact their local Microsoft office and point them to this article.

Also Digg this article to make it known to the entire world.

Posted on: 16 Apr 07 03:15
It's a great system it just needs a revision to work out all of its problems. Sign the petition to recall 360 so it may have it bugs worked out. http://www.petitiononline.com/360recal/petition-sign.html?

Dolphinius_Rex
CD Freaks Senior Member
Posted on: 16 Apr 07 08:29
Nice to see this issue being picked up by more news sites.

Posted on: 16 Apr 07 09:09
MS saying that it is possible that there is a scratch problem with SOME units is a far cry from saying the MS admits that all 360's have scratch issues like the title implies ("it is a typcial 360 problem?"). Not that some units don't have a scratching problem but all my friends with 360's don't have this problem, I don't have this problem, and I have never heard of anyone having this problem playing over Live. with over 10 million units sold and the fact that it has really just now gotten some headlines mean it is probably a very small problem. I believe MS when they say they will look into because when my launch 360 died I had a new one on my doorstep in just 4 business days! Just because a Dutch television program says that they have one console that scratched a disc means nothing. There are a lot of questions: did they just test one random unit or several (even if they tested several that is hardly a representative sample)? Test it in both vertical and horizontal? Or is there bias of any sort (tampering, etc.)? A garbage study but instead of ignoring this single test altogether MS has said they would look into it, respectable enough for a large company. There is a lot of cooky stuff that goes on with these game companies, I remember Sony got caught doing propaganda sites, forums postings, and videos for the PS3. Who knows if this story is even real, or if someone is on somebody's payroll. Paranoid I know but you can't just take everything to heart you read on the internet. Another possibility might be I am an American 360 owner, maybe a bad batch of DVD Drives got shipped to the UK? Or maybe this problem is within normal fault rates of that class of DVD drive? Still nothing unusual.

Hypnosis4U2NV
Posted on: 16 Apr 07 11:36
Kmach, "more than 10 million units sold"? I think its around 5 million units..

Posted on: 16 Apr 07 12:19
I live in Norway, and my 360 har ruined two games (disc read error), and made scratches in almost every other game I have bought. Three times I have tried to contact Microsofts customer service, and after five minutes in their phone queue I have been told to leave my name, phone number and a description of the problem. No response. Not for months. I have also tried their contact form online, but I doubt I will have more luck with it. It seems to me that they are simply not willing to deal with this problem

Posted on: 16 Apr 07 13:24

DoMiN8ToR
Management
Posted on: 16 Apr 07 15:52
This story is about the fact that Microsoft has admitted that even when the system is not moved, on a stable, 100% flat table (and a 20 cm concrete studio floor) and after only five hours of playtime, it still damages and scratches discs. Which seems to be caused by a flawed DVD-ROM drive that is missing parts that keep the discs stable. This is not about consoles that are worn out, treated badly or are moved when playing a game.

Lord KiRon
CD Freaks Senior Member
Posted on: 16 Apr 07 17:02
Well you can always use back up copy ... WHAT ? you can't ? it's copy protected ? Well here you see great case for copy protections and DRM , don't you ?

BitRate
Posted on: 17 Apr 07 01:31
Trust M$ use to use shoddy DVD-ROM components. The more rabid anti-M$ types will probably claim M$ did this on purpose to sell more game discs.

ivid
Posted on: 17 Apr 07 14:04
Hypnosis4U2NV, not sure what you refer to but MS has sold about 11 million 360 units. My friend at work fixed his own 360, it was having trouble booting games, he keeps saying how incredibly cheap & crappy the DVD drive mechanism is on the 360. He can't believe they use it for something so critical. My 360 reminds me of my Toyota Camry, nice-ish looking, but full of cheap flimsy plasitc parts !
This message was edited at: 17-04-2007 16:05

Posted on: 18 Apr 07 10:01
Good, now Microsoft only has to admit their other mistake...Windows! :X

Posted on: 29 Apr 07 23:47
In response to kmach or anyone thinking similar: I saw the actual broadcasts of Kassa that involved the XBox360. Yes, it's real. Yes, it does affect a couple of thousand people. Try this link: http://kassa.vara.nl/portal?_scr=kassa_artikel&number=3233237 It gives you a nice english summary, plus links to english subtitled video fragments of Kassa.

guest
"The only problem I have seen with scratched discs is when people lift or move the xbox 360 while a disc in the drive is playing, something that MS warns against in the manual. People that have their discs scratched that way should not blame the system or MS." Yeah, I'm sure people are dumb enough to actuall do that dipshit. Being the owner of several disc using systems I'd have to say Microsoft is at fault as they could have easily prevented this. If discs get scratched when the console is not being moved it is not the fault of the owner. Damn every response has to have to jerk-off Microsoft employee saying "Read the manual, it's the onwer's fault not microsoft" Got some news for you Rav, it is M$'s problem and instead of spreading bullshit like this you should be helping them fix it you jackass. Gamer out

Posted on: 28 Sep 07 03:44
I have gone through 4 halo 3 discs and my xbox has scratched them and now my xbox cannot read the discs im tired of wasting money

Posted on: 30 Sep 07 19:04
i have a new xbox 360 made 23-05-2006 and my cd drive is making rings on my cds i was wondering how to fix the problem ? :c

Posted on: 02 Oct 07 12:10
Well my xbox has now gone through two copies of oblivion, dead or alive 4 and gears of war, Microsoft better fix this problem, I plan to get the xbox replaced under warranty and only gonna worry about replacing gears of war , damn microsoft, disapointed in the 360 and Halo 3 (Halo 2s twin)..

Posted on: 04 Oct 07 21:21
LIVE IN FLORIDA AND IN THE PAST COUPLE MONTHS ANY GAME I BUY FOR MY 360 GETS TOTALLY SCRATCHED UP. I KNOW IT'S FROM MY XBOX CUZ THEY BOTH HAVE CIRCULAR SCRATCHES ON THEM. mY 360 WAS LEVEL. I TRIED HORIZONTAL AND VERTICAL PLAY. bOTH INEFFECTIVE. RAIN BOW 6 VEGAS AND HALO3 ARE TOAST. THEY READ THAT XBOX 360 DOESNT READ THEM AS GAMES, BUT DVD'S. WTF! DO ANY OF YOU KNOW HOW TO GO ABOUT FIXING OR REPLACING MY 360?

Posted on: 18 Oct 07 03:53
I JUST HAD AN X-BOX 360 THAT I RETURNED TO BEST BUY BECAUSE IT SCRATCHED MY HALO3. THEY TOLD ME TO GO ON MICROSOFT SO THEY CAN REPLACE MY HALO 3. SO CAN YOU GUYS REPLACE MY HALO 3 THAT WAS SCRATCHED BY THE X-BOX 360?

Posted on: 04 Nov 07 19:47
we have an xbox 360 unit from dec 2007 and it has now put rings on 2 brand new games. i contacted microsoft as soon as it happened to the first game. there technical support person told us to put the second game in and see what happens. we were reluctant to do this because it may scratch the 2nd game and they told us to do it. they also told us that they would replace the 2nd disc if it scratched it. well...it scratched it and we had to fight with them and are still fighting with them to get it replaced!! their customer service is horrible. it is clearly a manufacturing defect and they will not even stand behind their product. but i won't give up!

Posted on: 11 Nov 07 15:48
i agree with who ever says this crap is damagin disks and ill tell you why i bought my 360 like 2months agi and never had a problem it hadnt moved since i got it either..onli in the last month i bought ea skate and it skinned me 45 quid! and also a burnout game at 20 quid..within id say a month altogether the thing had scarted both the games to shit i was actually ragin about skate as it cost so much so i took the xbox back to cex ( it was prewoned) and yes i no youll say its preowned and you have nothing on them but i do as it says it shud last a year or more so i took it back and they refused to belve what iwas saying about the disks and sed it was my fault so my dad took it in and he left it with them and cex claimed they had checke it all week so i got it back just yesterday and bought fifa 07 to see if it was working and no marks were being made id says easily after less than 5hours of playing the disk was reading as unreadible wioth the rings on the outside i put more game sin it last night and now all my games are brok (3 in 24 hours) and you mite say im stup[id putting tem in if i thot it was broke but ineed proof that my xbox is faulty! add my msn if yee needa talk bout this ! filipe_flop@hotmail.co.uk i will NOT be letting this go as i have 93quids worth of broken games in my room

Posted on: 19 Nov 07 12:58
I barely tapped my xbox360 with my foot, And now I have this very nice round Scratch all over my Assassins Creed game, OH JOY

Posted on: 20 Dec 07 13:28
Xbox 360 scratching games....I have the same problem!!! But I realized after wiping the disc, the scratches turned out to be some kind of unknown fluid that was leaking from god knows where in my Xbox 360! So then I took a look inside the open dvd rom tray to see if I could spot any sign of fluid inside and I discovered a hell of alot of dust and cat hair or whatever that did not come from me or my house... (I know this because I had just received this Xbox from Xbox 360 Repair Center which was delivered by Purolator. So, with those defects plus the unpleasant grinding/buzzing noise it makes when booting a game. Do they expect me to believe that these characteristics could be normal So, I have found myself speaking to the friendly and caring xbox 360 repair staff again, about the these issues, trying to explain that they accidentally sent me one that is still broken...because if it did make it's way through the Certified Refurbished Xbox 360 Inspection and Testing Dept. it would have probably been cleaned too? Yes? No? I hope it would, or is this the kind of care we get for our dollar? After all the videos and stories i've seen about everyone's faulty 360's, I am not suprised that I will also get my share of frustrations too! However, I did buy an extended warranty (3yr) with the place of purchase (future shop) to assure my satisfaction and protection. But after more thought I wonder if 3 year warranty will only prolong the struggle to finally gain possesion of a properly built, functioning and reliable Xbox 360 (paid for long ago). I am starting to doubt that I will ever be satisfied, so unless the arrival of my third 360 turns out to be...... THE ONE!!! aka. my money's worth, I will have seen true colors in certain parties! P.S If i'm sound too dramatic, it's because I want to stress the importance of recognizing the fact we are forced to endure the frustration and other emotion caused due to a sense of being takin for a fool and/or lied to. I also lost all faith in the idea of a safe purchase. Even with a warranty I currently feel like I have to jump through hoops for both, manafacturer and retailer, if I hope to ever see a satisfactory product or even my money back! Does anyone know where to get the book: Standing Up For Youself For Dummies....? Ha Ha! First post ever!!! Good to finally speak out. Peace to the real, death to the fakers! If You See Kay Why Owe You

Posted on: 02 Jan 08 17:06
My 360 scratches my discs too. I'm in the US, so not just a Euro problem. Assassins Creed is almost unplayable, brother in law's just started scratching his Assassins Creed too!A flaw in the 360 made worse by a specific game??? Crazy. Called MS and they said I was out of warranty, but they knew exactly what was wrong and I could pay round trip shipping plus $99. So basically F YOU!

Posted on: 02 Jan 08 21:29
My R6 Vegas was ruined when a buddy put it in his vertical 360 unit. Then a coworkers daughter ruined my GH3 in a vertically mounted Elite unit. Lesson learned. Keep the 360 horizontal.

Posted on: 02 Jan 08 21:40
After M$'s initial F YOU, I called back to talk to a supervisor. They won't budge. Also found out that there is a class action lawsuit (actualy 3) against M$ for the disc scratching issue. I hope they get the shaft! :d

Posted on: 03 Jan 08 09:35
You think this is a one time issue with Microsoft? They have a rap sheet the size of mexico. Its been going on since the days of Windows 3.1, you think they will fix this, i seriously doubt it. Heck, even a class action lawsuit did nothing to fix the problems. I will not be supporting them anymore, i wasted enough money on them.

Posted on: 09 Jan 08 16:56
I've had the same problem of disc scratching, in a horizontally place, totally stable 360... My oblivion disc was scratched today for the 8th time... Each time I've gotten it working by using brasso!!! Fifa 08 is on its 4th scratch... To top it off, my disc drive won't eject, I actually have to whack it to make it come out!!!

Posted on: 18 Jan 08 19:51
my 360 did the same to oblivoin and my call of duty 4 witch was only a couple of hours old, told microsoft they said that dont happen and theres nothing the can do cose it aint a microsoft game,so paid £45 for a game take it home and its fucked within a couple of hours,my 360 was 4 months old and was in the same place as i put from new and never moved it, my advise buy a ps3 as the customer service is superb any problem get sorted straight away and its hd you cant get a digital picture from a component cable

Posted on: 23 Jan 08 04:15
:c :c :c :c :c curse the 360 it scratch my fav games it also broke 25 of my best game so curse it if u can!!!!!!!!!!!!! :B :B :B :B :B

Posted on: 11 Feb 08 20:50
I just bought the 360 arcade version about 2 weeks ago. All the brand new games we used in it, 4 to be exact have scratches all the way around. After reading all these posts from 1-2 years ago, you would think the a$$holes would have fixed the problem. I'm taking this overpriced piece back and sony or nintendo we'll be doing business with you from now on.....

Register to Myce.com

Register in 10 seconds, pick a username, enter your mail address and proof you're human, that's all!

An username is required and can only contain letters and numbers
Email is required, we'll send the password there

Welcome back

Sign in with your Myce account. Not a member yet? Create an account

A username is required and can only contain letters and numbers
A password is required