SanDisk launches 64 GB solid state drives (Press Release)

Posted 05 June 2007 15:42 CET by geno888

SanDisk® Corporation today expanded its line of solid state drive (SSD) products with the introduction of a 64-gigabyte (GB) SSD aimed at both enterprise users and early adopter consumers such as gamers. SanDisk 1.8-inch UATA 5000 and 2.5-inch SATA 5000 SSD products, which already are available in a 32GB capacity, are compatible as drop-in replacements for hard disk drives in most mainstream notebook computers.

Compared to conventional hard drives still found in most notebook computers, SanDisk SSDs offer key benefits to computer manufacturers and their customers:

• Durability and reliability. SanDisk SSDs deliver 2 million hours mean time between failures (MTBF), approximately six times more than notebook hard disks. With no moving parts, SanDisk SSDs are also much less likely to fail when a notebook computer is dropped or exposed to extreme temperatures.
  • High performance. With no moving parts, the flash-based SSD starts working almost immediately to achieve far better access speeds than a conventional hard disk drive. For example, in notebook computers, data moves to and from an SSD more than 100 times faster than data moving to and from a hard disk. SanDisk SSDs offer a sustained read rate of 67 megabytes (MB) per second and a random read rate of 7,000 inputs/outputs per second (IOPS) for a 512-byte transfer. As a result, notebooks equipped with a 2.5-inch SanDisk SSD can boot Microsoft® Windows® Vista™ Enterprise in as little as 30 seconds and access files at an average speed of 0.11 milliseconds. A notebook using a hard disk requires an average 48 seconds to boot and an average 17 milliseconds to access files.
  • Low power consumption. Compared to a typical hard disk drive, which consumes 1.9 watts during active operation, SanDisk SSDs consume 1.0 watt (0.5 watts for 1.8") while active and as little as 0.4 watts (0.2 watts for 1.8") while idle. This difference in power efficiency is particularly important in extending battery life for road warriors, enabling them to remain productive while in transit.

SanDisk SSD products are available now to manufacturers. The company plans to offer 64GB engineering samples in the third quarter, with mass production planned to commence prior to the end of the year.

Source: SanDisk.

DukeNukem
MyCE Resident Commenter
Posted on: 05 Jun 07 20:02
Right on, now I can access my pr0n in 2 seconds instead of 7 seconds. Seriously though, I can't wait till the price of these babies comes down. I play mostly demanding games like C&C 3 and this should help speed things up. Hmm... I wonder how long XP would take to boot up with one of these. They must work with XP, right?

shuma02
CD Freaks Junior Member
Posted on: 05 Jun 07 20:29
Windows XP is sort of like a DMV. Even in year 2280 when traveling from Los Angeles to New York will take 2 minutes, the DMV will still take 8 minutes to take your registration info. Windows XP will always take time, cause it takes time to load $hit up.

zag2me
CD Freaks Junior Member
Posted on: 06 Jun 07 12:29
Can't wait for these, my next power system will have one.

DukeNukem
MyCE Resident Commenter
Posted on: 06 Jun 07 13:00
@ shuma02 What's with all the negativity, man? :r

guest
Posted on: 06 Jun 07 13:38
Just other OS people still pissed that cant game on their OS so they gotta demean Windows.

DukeNukem
MyCE Resident Commenter
Posted on: 06 Jun 07 19:56
Oh...... what a sad existence.

shuma02
CD Freaks Junior Member
Posted on: 07 Jun 07 18:25
No no. I am a Windows person, and I realize now that my post was probably funnier to me than to others. I just don't think that solid state drives will improve Windows boot up all that much, it simply needs to take some amount of time to get it loaded. Plus I just don't see what's the hurry anyway. If you can't spare the extra 10 seconds here or there...

DukeNukem
MyCE Resident Commenter
Posted on: 08 Jun 07 13:07
@ shuma02 According to the reviews I've read, it improves bootup time significantly. And I think people are excited about this for numerous reasons, such as: Improved I/O speed (especially for gaming) Reduced power consumption (best option for notebooks) Eliminated noise (really, who likes noise?) Speaking for myself, I can't wait to get one. However, I hope I can use it with XP since I'm in no hurry to beta-test the newest of Bill's operating systems.