Myce.com Latest Updates

Ellen forced to apologize over iPhone parody

Posted 06 May 2010 00:56 CET by Jared Newman

Comedian and daytime talk show host Ellen DeGeneres was forced to apologize after poking fun at Apple’s iPhone in a parody advertisement.

The mock ad, which you can watch on YouTube, mimics the simple style of Apple’s iPhone ads, with the phone held up against a white screen as happy music plays in the background. But instead of demonstrating new features or cool apps, DeGeneres fumbles through the basic task of sending a text message. First she accidentally clicks on Google Maps, then she sends a message in error as she tries dealing with the phone’s virtual keypad.

“Can you help me with this?” she asks at the commercial’s conclusion.

Apple didn’t take too kindly to the parody. On the next day’s show, DeGeneres said Apple complained, and she got in trouble.  She apologized for portraying the iPhone as difficult to use.

“It’s not hard to use,” she said. “I have an iPhone, [wife Portia de Rossi] has an iPhone, I just learned how to text on an iPhone, it’s the only phone that I can text on, and I love it. I love my iPad, I love my iPod. I love IHOP if you have anything to do with that. So, everybody at Apple — Steve Jobs, Mr. Macintosh — I apologize.”

The segment’s pretty hard to watch. I understand that usability is a key feature of the iPhone, but for Apple to cause a fuss over a joke is appalling, and there’s no reason DeGeneres should have to state her love for Apple products on national television as a result.

I’m not sure whether Apple is an advertiser for NBC, which airs The Ellen DeGeneres Show. If so, I wouldn’t be surprised if Apple threatened to pull advertisements unless DeGeneres apologized. Either way, Apple’s inability to take a joke may backfire as more people learn of the whole ordeal.

gamo62
MyCE Junior Member
Posted on: 06 May 10 01:05
Well, it looks like Apple, has become "Big Brother". I thought that parody was protected speech? Those asswipes. Steve Jobs can blow my job! Parody this you waste of sperm!!!
0 Agree

elfdood
MyCE Member
Posted on: 06 May 10 01:27
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamo62
Well, it looks like Apple, has become "Big Brother". I thought that parody was protected speech? Those asswipes. Steve Jobs can blow my job! Parody this you waste of sperm!!!
You are Bill Gates

*I claim my $5*
0 Agree

iamrocket
Dedicated DoMi groupie
Posted on: 06 May 10 01:37
Is Apple becoming the thought police? First Flash, now comedy.... where does it go from here? lol
0 Agree

DrageMester
Retired Moderator
Posted on: 06 May 10 08:55
So The Church of Apple doesn't find it humorous when Ellen makes blasphemous remarks about The Holy iPhone? What a shocker!?!

Corporations and Religions are well-known for their sense of humour, and when they're combined into Corporate Religion, the sense of humour must be at least doubled!

If you're one of the Apple Chosen People (Homo Malus), then you'll be pleased to know that you will soon no longer risk having to date members of the inferior species (Homo Sapiens) when this new dating site opens.
0 Agree

BussyB
Former MyCE Support
Posted on: 06 May 10 10:11
For some people, that will be online dating using their mobile only!
Drage, you're in the Beta, aren't you?
0 Agree

H3rB3i
Retired Editor, Reviewer & Senior Moderator
Posted on: 06 May 10 10:50
So, Roar and all other be careful or Steve "sulky Apple" J. will force you to apologize too ;-)
0 Agree

DrageMester
Retired Moderator
Posted on: 06 May 10 11:57
Quote:
Originally Posted by BussyB
Drage, you're in the Beta, aren't you?
I don't qualify. The only apple things I have, is the kind that grows on trees.
0 Agree

BussyB
Former MyCE Support
Posted on: 06 May 10 12:04
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrageMester
The only apple things I have, is the kind that grows on trees.
Amen
0 Agree

DukeNukem
MyCE Resident Commenter
Posted on: 06 May 10 12:47
Steve Jobs is a tool. I pledge to never purchase an Apple product.
0 Agree

Mr. Belvedere
MyCE Resident
Posted on: 06 May 10 14:27
I love the iPhone! I like Apple products. I really do not care at all about the brand itself, but i like the style and looks and functionality. But...

I hate their price tags and because i am not filthy rich and need to take other priorities i am not buying them. There are NO apple products whatsoever in my posession simply because i cannot afford them or have noticed there are cheaper products that almost have them same functionality or other qualification i am looking for in an electronic device.

I have no Ipod shuffle, since there are $10 mp3 players that can almost do the same. I don't have an Ipod Touch, because i already have a PSP. It can do almost the same, except a touchpad.

I also do not like the company. I have heard too many weird things from the Apple company to ever trust them. This news is another weird thing.
0 Agree

Whappo
MyCE Resident
Posted on: 06 May 10 15:17
Apologize? I always suspected she had no balls.
0 Agree

iamrocket
Dedicated DoMi groupie
Posted on: 06 May 10 15:26
This also reminds me of when they complained about the MS ads showing how PCs were cheaper and faster then Apples and MS pretty much had to pull their ads. Whats up with Apple, whiny baby syndrome I say.
0 Agree

geno888
Senior Moderator, Editor and Guru
Posted on: 06 May 10 15:58
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrageMester
The only apple things I have, is the kind that grows on trees.


0 Agree

jspiridigliozzi
New Member
Posted on: 06 May 10 17:04
I agree with the reviewer - Apple's attitude is appalling... Instead of taking the parody and turning it around in some form and making it a "win" for them, they respond their bloated-ego...
0 Agree

ivid
MyCE Resident
Posted on: 06 May 10 17:47
I dislike so much about Apple, I have sworn in the past to never buy an Apple product. But I want an iPad. And not some crappy knock off, they got it right and its a very cool product. But damn, its Apple.

Ahhrgh ! Such dilemmas ..
0 Agree

BradWright
MyCE Member
Posted on: 06 May 10 19:02
Steve Jobs is a left-wing, power grabbing, elitist, and you can't say or do anything unfavorable to left-wing, power grabbing, elitists. Apple is Steve Jobs, so therefore the same applies for Apple. Can you even download software to an Apple device that hasn't been blessed by his holiness? Without being banned from the almighty apps store, or voiding the warranty?
0 Agree

apatrizio
New Member
Posted on: 06 May 10 19:18
Okay, I have to ask a question:

Do you *really* believe that Apple "forced" Ellen to apologize, or are you just using this as an excuse to bash
the company?

I sincerely want to know. This site used to be real good (ya know, in the Freak days) and it's going down the crapper
rapidly.

So, Newman, did you do *any* research at all before writing this "news" article? It clearly states "Ellen forced to apologize
over iPhone parody." Well, who was it that forced her to apologize? Since you are so certain that it wasn't part of the joke,
I look forward to hearing all about it.

As for the rest of the comments here - guys, give it up. Really. You're just embarrassing yourselves. You sound like a bunch
of jealous children.

Here is a hint: parody *is* protected speech, you douchebags. Ellen wasn't "forced to apologize." But if I'm wrong - by
all means write a news article with, um, you know, actual facts. I'd be happy to learn to truth.

What's with the inferiority complex? If you're so happy with your windows-based PC's why are you posting on a thread
about Apple? Yeah, I know. I've used all sorts of computers and all sorts of operating systems and I can definitely
understand where the jealousy stems from. Why not save your pennies and actually try a product instead of bashing it
mindlessly, though?

If you don't like OS X, you could run Windows 7 exclusively. Me, I prefer to dual boot as it gives me the best
of both worlds. If you don't like your new Mac, you could sell it at little or no loss - those machines hold their value
remarkably well. Trust me when I say they are worth the money.

Oh, I love the guy who "pledges" to never buy an apple product. That's kind of like me pledging not to ask Scarlett
Johansson out on a date.

To clarify - the forums here are truly amazing and I've learned so much about optical drives over the years. It's just
that these ridiculous fake "news" articles cast an unflattering light upon the truly knowledgeable members of the site.

best regards,

Ant
0 Agree

DrageMester
Retired Moderator
Posted on: 06 May 10 20:43
Quote:
Originally Posted by apatrizio
As for the rest of the comments here - guys, give it up. Really. You're just embarrassing yourselves. You sound like a bunch
of jealous children.
Is that you, Steve?

Quote:
... you douchebags.
Making sure to insult all other participants is always the best way to "win" a discussion!

Quote:
best regards
Somehow I doubt that you mean that.
0 Agree

DukeNukem
MyCE Resident Commenter
Posted on: 07 May 10 12:38
Quote:
Originally Posted by apatrizio
You sound like a bunch of jealous children.
you douchebags
actually try a product instead of bashing it mindlessly
You really know how to make friends and influence people. Do us all a favour, please? Roll off your sister, exit your trailer, get into your pickup, and drive off a cliff. Don't worry, you won't be missed and I'll make sure to take care of your sister for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrageMester
Is that you, Steve?
LOL. You beat me to it.
0 Agree

trust2112
MyCE Member
Posted on: 07 May 10 16:21
Maybe Ellen should have apologized for Steve Jobs having that big dildo stuck too far up his butt? I would never own an Apple product, not because they are junk, but because I don't need a dictator telling me how, when, where and why to use my phone, music player, or whatever. What a commie bastard!
0 Agree

trust2112
MyCE Member
Posted on: 07 May 10 16:29
If you are such an Apple expert, then why is Apple dumping on Flash, when Adobe was one of the very few companies that stuck with them? If it wasn't for Photoshop, Apple wouldn't be worth a crap. Because everyone knows that Apples only good selling point was graphics programs. But ohh looky, now I have photoshop for windows, Apple can go the way of it's "Lisa", and die a horribly cruel death as far as I am concerned.
0 Agree

DukeNukem
MyCE Resident Commenter
Posted on: 07 May 10 16:38
Quote:
Originally Posted by trust2112
If it wasn't for Photoshop, Apple wouldn't be worth a crap.
Agreed.

We should all ignore "apatrizio". He has no life so he trolls tech sites for amusement.
0 Agree

ivid
MyCE Resident
Posted on: 07 May 10 17:57
There is nothing wrong with pledging to never buy an Apple product.

I have been avoiding Apple's cool products because of the nature of their business model and the way their devices work. I was never interested in Mac because I can't stand using OSX, and I have used it enough.
But I am talking about their cool products like iPod Touch and iPhone. I have wanted those but resisted because of the whole Apple philosophy, the closed and censored platform, being tied in to iTunes, their shoddy customer service, the way they quash hardware issues etc..
0 Agree

ivid
MyCE Resident
Posted on: 07 May 10 18:00
trust2112, according to the Apple zealots, Adobe abandoned them in the early 90's to focus on Windows based products. In their mind Adobe was letting Apple die off and hoped they would go away. I'm not sure I buy it and I find your point valid. Photoshop probably kept Mac alive ...
0 Agree

Hemispasm
Retired Senior Moderator
Posted on: 11 May 10 19:24
Nothing Apple does amazes me anymore...
0 Agree

BitRate
MyCE Senior Member
Posted on: 12 May 10 01:42
Apple continues to produce over-hyped and overpriced junk and all the brainwashed lemmings lap it up. Jobs has to maintain tight control over his proprietary shop otherwise he can kiss his minuscule installed base and revenue streams goodbye. Apart from being an ignorant fascist, Jobs is now alienating 3rd party developers by forcing them to use only apple-approved development tools for the iPhone! Say what ? That's plain extremist and is typical of the arrogant and pig-headed ideals of that radical looney Jobs. He has no idea about technical decision making and should quietly slither away like the skunk he is.
0 Agree

DukeNukem
MyCE Resident Commenter
Posted on: 12 May 10 13:01
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitRate
Apple continues to produce over-hyped and overpriced junk and all the brainwashed lemmings lap it up. Jobs has to maintain tight control over his proprietary shop otherwise he can kiss his minuscule installed base and revenue streams goodbye. Apart from being an ignorant fascist, Jobs is now alienating 3rd party developers by forcing them to use only apple-approved development tools for the iPhone! Say what ? That's plain extremist and is typical of the arrogant and pig-headed ideals of that radical looney Jobs. He has no idea about technical decision making and should quietly slither away like the skunk he is.
"Impressive. Most impressive. Obi-Wan has taught you well. You have controlled your fear. Now, release your anger. Only your hatred can destroy me." ~ Steve Jobs
0 Agree

wyamarus
New Member
Posted on: 12 May 10 13:33
Most likely it was NBC that forced her to apologize, because they thought they might lose out on some ad revenue. Parody is protected legally, but corporate greed trumps the law every time.

The Mac has had some great engineers and designers involved with it since it's inception, but they have all suffered burn-out from the continual confrontation with Jobs' ego.

If it wasn't for the Woz getting Apple off the ground by actually creating and building a real product... Jobs would likely have become an investment banker... or a pimp.
0 Agree

phil_177
New Member
Posted on: 20 May 10 14:49
Eons ago I saw the Apple 'Emblem' for the first time ...

and I said to myself: if I took a bite from the apple and found a worm, would I dare take a second bite ... ???

To this day I have avoided apples like the plague !!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Agree

Mynor
New Member
Posted on: 31 May 10 22:22
Mac hardware is inferior look at the specs, they just sell their crap at a high price point cuz of their OS. and now that adobe isn't giving them priority to photoshop they get pissed. the only people that bought a mac for a long time where those old timers that learned to use photoshop on it. they are the ones that preach the apple way. I wonder what will happen now that steam has released gaming to the mac. any real gamers going to buy a mac to game on I doubt it. unless mac comes out with some bad ass hardware specs, but if they do that they will probably what 10gs for it, the "Igamer" or what ever the hell they'll call it.
0 Agree

Post your comment

Myce.com settings

Several settings at Myce.com can be changed, they are stored in cookies, which means they will be reset if you clear Myce.com cookies

Background

Change the background to a plain color or trianglified image (similar to the default image)

No tracking features

At Myce most social media feature are done server side and impose no privacy risk to the visitor when not used. Several features use Javascript with you can turn off here

Layout

Switch to the List layout for an index with chronologycally listed news items or Grid layout for a block based layout. To see the change you need to reload the page

×