Cinavia Blu-ray copy protection is broken

Posted 27 November 2013 15:23 CET by Jan Willem Aldershoff

Several sources confirm to us that the current Cinavia Blu-ray copy protection is broken. The breakthrough came with the recent appearance of user Cienoway who has been working with our resident Cinavia chaser Macrovision3500 on developing a method to eliminate Cinavia detection by modifying the audio track of a movie.

myce-logo-cinavia2

The method has been verified to disable Cinavia by several forum members, including the developer of DVD Ranger. The initial skepticism has now changed to respect and encouragement to further develop the method.

In its current state the method creates audio files with decent audio quality but Cienoway estimates this can be improved as he writes, “The 30 minutes audio clip that I posted to PutLocker and shared with MacroVision et al, with decent audio quality as it is, still contains a little bit random and hardly noticeable static noise. I suspected it was not cause by my method, but mere a bug in my computer code.” And he aims to fix it as he goes on to write, “it is indeed confirmed to be a simple bug. After I fixing[sic] it, the audio quality is crystal clear, with no audible static or artifact.”

So far no actual software has been released to the public. Cienoway has not revealed whether he wants to release his source code or that he will work with commercial parties in ‘safe-harbours’ like Antiqua (Slysoft) or China (DVDFab) to implement it in their software.  But we expect an end user solution should not be far away.

And if Cienoway is right, it’s the end of audio watermarking technology as he writes, “The break is so easy and simple. It breaks Cinavia fundamentally. The watermark science itself is broken, not the secret behind implementation. In another word, it is broken for good. There is NO feasible way of repairing the technology and make it work again”.

The method remains a secret so far, the only thing we know that it randomly changes the speed of audio. Only the future can tell if this will be the end of Cinavia and the annoyances of users.

myce-cinavia-twitter

The Cinavia copy protection is embedded in the audiotrack of a Cinavia protected movie  Hardware and software players contain a Cinavia watermark detector  which decides if the movie is legitimate or not. While Verance, the company developing it, claims it doesn’t affect the quality of the audio, others disagree.

The degradation of the audio  is a reason to try to find a method to remove the signal from audio tracks. Another reason is that Cinavia prevents  playback of Blu-ray backups.The protection will detect playback of the backup and will mute the audio after 20 minutes while showing a Cinavia warning prompting the user to get a legal copy of the movie.

Also pirates start to encounter Cinavia more and more as it’s also designed to stop illegal movie sharing. The Cinavia detector can also be found in the next generation consoles, the Xbox One and the Playstation 4.

Read more on Cinavia in our in depth article: Ultimate Cinavia Guide: the protection that refuses to be silenced, more information in this forum thread.

CDan
Posted on: 27 Nov 13 14:38
There's a pretty massive issue with "randomly changing the speed of the audio", which is that the audio will no longer correctly synch with the video.

voxsmart
Posted on: 27 Nov 13 19:44
A big thank you to all involved, I will look forward to being able to remove the very noticeable spoiler. I can tell it's there because I'm using near the state of the art blu ray player and surround systems.
I don't actually bother to back up blu ray discs any more because it's too long winded, expensive and why bother as the discs are much tougher than DVDs. Being clumsy, I must back up CDs and DVDs because I drop and damage them, I've never managed to ruin a Blu ray yet.
I'm also pleased for you Guys with Kids that use discs as Frisbees or whatever and you need to back up your not inexpensive blu rays. It's a shame that it re opens the doors for the pirates, but I bet if the discs were a lot cheaper, who would really bother to pirate them in large quantities.
I really do hope this is it and the likes of the companies that invent and implement this annoying crap will finally realise that DRM actually causes more problems than it solves.

olddancer
Posted on: 27 Nov 13 23:27
Kudos to Cienoway on making it work. I look forward to functional software in the near future. I have no desire to Pirate the Leagaly Purchased Disks in my collection but neither do I have the desire to wade through 2 hours of crap Trailers at the beginning of each disk. I like many people have started to archive my disks to a single Hard Drive.
Hard to lose or damage a disk
Easily found in Alphabetical order in the directory
Near instant loading via my Media Player
It's like when we had a choice of purchasing music on Vinyl or Cassette (yes I'm that old). Those of us that were smart bought Vinyl and dubbed what we wanted to on cassette. Saved both the expensive original albums and our nerves f/fwing through the unwanted tracks.

cholla
Posted on: 27 Nov 13 23:51
I suggest you PM Cienoway & download the sample .mp3 that has had his process done to it.
It is a mono .mp3 file .
I could hear some problems .
I applaud Cienoway for his efforts & I hope he can improve the quality.
I would like to download at least a stereo sample.
I would also like to not hear any "pops' or "clicks" at the "cut" places.
I could also hear the "speed up" where the cuts were made.

Since there was no video with the sample I don't know if there is a sync problem.
I suspect there will be.

TSJnachos117
Posted on: 28 Nov 13 02:05
It probably WO 't be the end of Cinivia. Just because a DRM scheme is broken, doesn't mean the studios will be smart enough to not use them. You'd probably be surprised how many DVD's still use analogue protection (even DVD Decryptor is capable of breaking this protection).

Adbear
MyCE Rookie
Posted on: 28 Nov 13 17:54
I have to agree with Cholla, it's a good effort, but hardly 'Broken' as the audio is still difficult to listen to

Register to Myce.com

Register in 10 seconds, pick a username, enter your mail address and proof you're human, that's all!

An username is required and can only contain letters and numbers
Email is required, we'll send the password there

Welcome back

Sign in with your Myce account. Not a member yet? Create an account

A username is required and can only contain letters and numbers
A password is required