Consumer demand for Apple iPad still strong

Posted 17 July 2010 10:02 CET by Randomus

The Apple iPad has sold more than 3 million units since its release more than three months ago, and is expected to see high consumer demand throughout the rest of summer.

There was initial concern that demand would drop after the first three months of availability, but that won’t be a problem, according to a new survey from America’s Research Group.

Out of 1,000 people recently surveyed, around 8.4 percent said they own an iPad – and 6.1 percent said they plan to purchase one.

Every Apple product launch is met with a high level of media and consumer interest, but the iPad is still selling more units than predicted.  The iPad has given birth to an entirely new tablet device market, and now there are numerous companies working to release rival products.

After Apple topped the 3 million sales mark last month, Kaufman Bros. Analyst Shaw Ku predicted Apple will sell around 9.7 million iPads in 2010.

Apple’s iPhone 4 is receiving strong criticism from the consumer industry – due to an antenna problem that is fixed with a protective casing.. The iPad has had a noticeably smaller amount of complaints from reviewers and consumers.

I’m most interested to see how Apple promotes the iPad during crucial back-to-school promotions and prior to the Christmas shopping rush.  The Cupertino-based company will have to deal with competition from virtually every other PC manufacturer, along with smaller, lesser known companies that also want to test the market.

Prior to its launch three months ago, it was unknown how high demand would be for the highly hyped tablet device. If you want to read our take on the iPad, check out our hands on impressions here.

redk9258
MyCE Junior Member
I don't want one.

paulw2
Nor me

Carfanatic
MyCE Rookie
I don't want one that I had to pay for it if was free I would take it then.

ivid
I love my iPad.

I am a long time hardcore PC user and I never liked Apple. My iPad is my 1st Apple product and I love it. I hardly use my PC at home anymore, pretty much only for downloading. Its such a better experience using the iPad for day to day home computing tasks, and I can do them from anywhere.

I don't think people get. It really is an amazing product. It is so great to not have to sit in my home office at my desk to use the Internet etc.. . Its so nice to be able to carry it around and use it sitting in any position on my couch, dining room table, balcony etc.. Its such a better experience over a laptop / netbook.

justcallmebob
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivid
I love my iPad.

I enrolled in a CISSP review class and we're supposed to get an iPad as part of the course materials. This is why I'd like to get one . . . just to be able to do daily computing stuff.

Register to Myce.com

Register in 10 seconds, pick a username, enter your mail address and proof you're human, that's all!

An username is required and can only contain letters and numbers
Email is required, we'll send the password there

Welcome back

Sign in with your Myce account. Not a member yet? Create an account

A username is required and can only contain letters and numbers
A password is required