Myce.com Latest Updates

FBI launches investigation of Operation Payback

Posted 11 November 2010 00:00 CET by wconeybeer

Anonymous seemed to be floating along well on their wave of DDoS attacks against the websites of anti-piracy advocates, but it looks like the US Federal Bureau of Investigation has fired a cannonball that could soon sink their pirate ship.

A report from CNET indicates that the FBI has launched an investigation into the 7-week series of at least 24 Operation Payback DDoS attacks that were carried out against websites operated by the RIAA, MPAA, The British Phonographic Industry, and other similar groups around the world. The actions were carried out to raise awareness to the group’s cause of promoting the freedom of sharing information and preventing the further encroachment of copyright laws.

Sources indicate that the FBI began to ramp up their probe of the attacks after the DDoS attack that was carried out last week against the US Copyright website. That attack, the first against a US government agency, rendered the copyright.gov website completely inaccessible for at least half an hour and slowed the site for several hours thereafter.

The effects on copyright.gov were mild compared to what other sites experienced. At one point the RIAA’s website was down for three full days, while both ACS:Law and Associação do Comércio Audiovisual de Portugal (ACAPOR) ended up having their email databases leaked and posted online in events related to the attacks against them. There’s also no doubt that Gene Simmons of Kiss will be talking to FBI agents about his own DDoS experiences with Anonymous after he spoke out against piracy at a music industry conference.

Operation Payback recently announced that they would be taking a break from their attacks for a while, which indicates that they are likely aware of the FBI probe into their activities. The question now is how good of a job the members of Anonymous have actually done at keeping their identities shielded during the attacks. The penalties they could face include prison time and hefty fines, as indicated by the sentencing this week of a former University of Akron student who carried out DDoS attacks on conservative political figures and his school.

I’ve got to say that I’m sad to see this investigation commencing, though I knew it was inevitable. While I didn’t agree with some of the tactics Anonymous used to get their message across, it was good to see a grass roots vigilante group emerge to stand up for their freedoms. But maybe this doesn’t mark the end of Operation Payback. Maybe, just maybe, they still have a few tricks up their collective sleeves.

debro
Blown to smitherines
Posted on: 11 Nov 10 01:40
3 little words

BOTNET FOR RENT

Ok 3 big words ... so sue me ... that's a figure of speech, not an invitation

Any techie that can co-ordinate a complete DDOS attack on multiple sites for multiple days can keep their hands clean.
Or failing that, have an unconnected stool pigeon


What I would find hilarious is for the FBI to conclude that the DDOS'd companies were DDOSing themselves due to endemic botnet malware infection

Not as funny, but still amusing, would be if the FBI concluding that they were all DDOSing eachother.
0 Agree

getit29
MyCE Resident
Posted on: 11 Nov 10 03:44
DDOSing of FBI headquarter servers will commence in 5....4.....3.....2.....1


I always heard FBI stood for one of the following among several others
that I won't post here.

FBI = Fumbling, Bumbling, Idiots

FBI = Feamale, Body, Inspector

FBI = Fat, Boys, Incorporated
0 Agree

Zathros
MyCE Resident
Posted on: 11 Nov 10 04:09
Quote:
Originally Posted by getit29
DDOSing of FBI headquarter servers will commence in 5....4.....3.....2.....1


I always heard FBI stood for one of the following among several others
that I won't post here.

FBI = Fumbling, Bumbling, Idiots

FBI = Feamale, Body, Inspector

FBI = Fat, Boys, Incorporated

That's a laugh. I have worked with the F.B.I. and I assure, you do not want to be in their sights. DDOS could involve Homeland Security, and, having some rather good friends in that organization, I would be scared right now, if I were under investigation.

I have had F.B.I. clearance 3 times. I have been interviewed about peoples in this town that work for the government that I know. They are very thorough. A lot of blather going on here.

Just for the record, I think the anti-piracy groups and the corporations that are sucking us dry deserve what they get. On the other hand, I am sure that the Paper Model I release for sale will be pirated within a few hours after it's released (A90 Orlyonok Ekranoplan), and that sucks because it will has taken me months to design and will probably only cost about $10 dollars U.S. (downloaded .pdf). It is one of the main reasons I have not released it. The screw goes both ways.

Sometimes, it is alright to get paid for what you do.
0 Agree

kevpc
MyCE Rookie
Posted on: 11 Nov 10 08:36
so are the FBI going to investigate the anti-piracy companies that committed DDOS attacks as well? if not, that is extremely biased action and one that could easily p**s off people a whole lot more again!
0 Agree

Mr. Belvedere
MyCE Resident
Posted on: 11 Nov 10 08:52
Quote:
The penalties they could face include prison time and hefty fines, as indicated by the sentencing this week of a former University of Akron student who carried out DDoS attacks on conservative political figures and his school.
The conspiracy is even getting bigger, since http://www.myce.com/404/?q=/news/new...-prison-36379/ is a forbidden page!



I am wondering how the FBI is going to force the local jurisdiction to sue the proxy servers and people outside the United States.
0 Agree

getit29
MyCE Resident
Posted on: 11 Nov 10 11:39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathros
That's a laugh. I have worked with the F.B.I. and I assure, you do not want to be in their sights. DDOS could involve Homeland Security, and, having some rather good friends in that organization, I would be scared right now, if I were under investigation.

I have had F.B.I. clearance 3 times. I have been interviewed about peoples in this town that work for the government that I know. They are very thorough. A lot of blather going on here.
Yep I have been throughly investigated by the FBI back in the early 70's
before I got my job working for the US Government in a highly classified
area they had to check from just about the day I was born up to the day
I went to work.

They questioned all of my relatives and all of my friends and everyone that
ever knew me they even questioned some of my old school teachers and did
every kind of background check they could do.

It freaked some of them out as they thought I was in trouble or something all
of them would call me up and tell me the FBI was asking about me.
I would just laugh and tell them it wasn't anything serious it was just for a job
I was trying to get.

Please do not ask me what kind of job it was or what kind of work I done for the
Government as even to this day I am not allowed to say and I can not discuss it
with anyone all I'm allowed to say is I worked for the US Government for a while.
0 Agree

Drum
MyCE Member
Posted on: 11 Nov 10 12:23
I don't compare what you do to what the reciording industry does, they make billions in profit while screwing the few artists and many lipsyncing idiots they get to sigh their contracts. I also don't expect you are out there sending blackmail letters to the few people who illegally download your product demanding they pay you $4500 or get taken to court.

Unfortunately most people are risking fines and jail time for crappy music that the recording companies can't sell so they blams downloading for the drop in sales. Total morons all. Illegal downloading is wrong, but downloading crap, leagal or illegal is just plain stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathros
Just for the record, I think the anti-piracy groups and the corporations that are sucking us dry deserve what they get. On the other hand, I am sure that the Paper Model I release for sale will be pirated within a few hours after it's released (A90 Orlyonok Ekranoplan), and that sucks because it will has taken me months to design and will probably only cost about $10 dollars U.S. (downloaded .pdf). It is one of the main reasons I have not released it. The screw goes both ways.

Sometimes, it is alright to get paid for what you do.
0 Agree

Blu-rayFreak
MyCE Resident
Posted on: 11 Nov 10 17:51
Quote:
Originally Posted by getit29
DDOSing of FBI headquarter servers will commence in 5....4.....3.....2.....1
Now that would be hilarious...
0 Agree

Seán
Senior Administrator & Reviewer
Posted on: 11 Nov 10 18:07
In my opinion, the FBI should be prioritising their efforts into dealing with spammers and their Botnets, Malware developers and website hackers who all have an effect on pretty much every online business around the world instead of just a few select anti-piracy organisation websites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Belvedere
The conspiracy is even getting bigger, since http://www.myce.com/404/?q=/news/new...-prison-36379/ is a forbidden page!
This was probably due to the URL bug that was on the MyCE front end a few days ago that kept adding "/404?=/news" to the URL.

The proper URL is:
http://www.myce.com/news/ohio-politi...-prison-36379/
0 Agree

beamdump
MyCE Rookie
Posted on: 12 Nov 10 05:58
Please! The US FBI is a modern, professional investigative organization whose talents and treasury are being abused by the greed mill of the so-called "victims" in this article. In spite of their professionalism and tremendous talents, they are in fact, being forced into being lackeys for the greed mill. This can't be undone. Too many "contributions" to politicos have stopped any semblance of reason or fairness in this arena. Once it was proclaimed by one Michael Milkin that "Greed is good". The truth is simply that "greed is".
0 Agree

Mr. Belvedere
MyCE Resident
Posted on: 12 Nov 10 09:26
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamdump
Please!
Yes dear?

Quote:
The US FBI is a modern, professional investigative organization whose talents and treasury are being abused by the greed mill of the so-called "victims" in this article. In spite of their professionalism and tremendous talents, they are in fact, being forced into being lackeys for the greed mill.
Amazing. An institution with some power gets abused by enforcers who demand the flawed system stays the way it is. This must be the first time in history of such horrendrous abuse of power. I wonder if the government gets to watch Star Wars.

Quote:
This can't be undone.
You are new to terrorism and civil wars?

Quote:
Too many "contributions" to politicos have stopped any semblance of reason or fairness in this arena. Once it was proclaimed by one Michael Milkin that "Greed is good". The truth is simply that "greed is".
If i vote for you, do you promise not to abuse your powers and only use it for good?
0 Agree

Carcinogenic
MyCE Rookie
Posted on: 13 Nov 10 03:15
Quote:
Originally Posted by getit29
Please do not ask me what kind of job it was or what kind of work I done for the
Government as even to this day I am not allowed to say and I can not discuss it
with anyone all I'm allowed to say is I worked for the US Government for a while.
Or what? Has the Great System "rootkitted" you?

BWAHAHAHAHAHA

They look damn good at applying psychological pressure, but think if anyone of them would like to be in the RECEIVING end.
0 Agree

getit29
MyCE Resident
Posted on: 13 Nov 10 05:38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcinogenic
Or what? Has the Great System "rootkitted" you?

BWAHAHAHAHAHA

They look damn good at applying psychological pressure, but think if anyone of them would like to be in the RECEIVING end.
Nope no rootkits here but as the old saying goes llss or (loose lips sinks ships)
and you never know who is listening to you on the other side of the door.

I can say this much but this is all since it doesn't give anything sensitive away.

DoD with a SCI security clearance but I do not have that clearance any longer
since I'm no longer with the government and if you do not know what a SCI
clearance is just look it up.
0 Agree

tubebar
MyCE Member
Posted on: 13 Nov 10 09:15
Stupid MediaDefender & SafeCast can deal w/ the FBI. It's one of those things, that both parties are "breaking the law" so I bet nothing will happen.
0 Agree

Carcinogenic
MyCE Rookie
Posted on: 13 Nov 10 15:07
Quote:
Originally Posted by getit29
Nope no rootkits here but as the old saying goes llss or (loose lips sinks ships)
and you never know who is listening to you on the other side of the door.
Hey man, I was joking about the FBI "rootkitting" you, but anyone can't help but suspect that such self-called "worldwide police" now really wants to hook up on people and know their every step without being uncoreved and backfired for it. I don't care what you did while you were a govt. insider, as long as you weren't ordered to spy on law-abiding citizens ANYWHERE in this damn distrustful world...
0 Agree

Carcinogenic
MyCE Rookie
Posted on: 13 Nov 10 15:08
"uncovered", damn it!
0 Agree

StormJumper
Retired Moderator
Posted on: 13 Nov 10 22:11
Quote:
Originally Posted by getit29
DDOSing of FBI headquarter servers will commence in 5....4.....3.....2.....1


I always heard FBI stood for one of the following among several others
that I won't post here.

FBI = Fumbling, Bumbling, Idiots

FBI = Feamale, Body, Inspector

FBI = Fat, Boys, Incorporated
The correct one is FBI = Female Body Inspector to which I'm a member of ladies
0 Agree

getit29
MyCE Resident
Posted on: 13 Nov 10 22:16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcinogenic
Hey man, I was joking about the FBI "rootkitting" you, but anyone can't help but suspect that such self-called "worldwide police" now really wants to hook up on people and know their every step without being uncoreved and backfired for it. I don't care what you did while you were a govt. insider, as long as you weren't ordered to spy on law-abiding citizens ANYWHERE in this damn distrustful world...
LOL!!! no problem about the root-kit and no I didn't spy on any law-abiding citizens
no way would I ever do that. You would be very surprised if only you knew half of
what the FBI / HLS and government was doing in the back rooms now days.

For instance take the I believe it was the AT&T / President GW Bush / HLS scandal
of monitoring all of the Internet traffic in the USA without any one's permission or
without anyone's knowledge until they were found out but the High Court said it was
okay for them to do so.

So it isn't safe to do anything any more without Big Brother watching you and like it
says in my location under my picture (Standing Right behind you)
0 Agree

RCM
MyCE Resident
Posted on: 15 Nov 10 02:08
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJumper
The correct one is FBI = Female Body Inspector to which I'm a member of ladies
What about Fart Bombs Incorporated!
0 Agree

rla
Banned
Posted on: 15 Nov 10 03:05
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathros
That's a laugh. I have worked with the F.B.I. and I assure, you do not want to be in their sights. DDOS could involve Homeland Security, and, having some rather good friends in that organization, I would be scared right now, if I were under investigation..
Is it getting deep in here or what????
0 Agree

Post your comment

Myce.com settings

Several settings at Myce.com can be changed, they are stored in cookies, which means they will be reset if you clear Myce.com cookies

Background

Change the background to a plain color or trianglified image (similar to the default image)

No tracking features

At Myce most social media feature are done server side and impose no privacy risk to the visitor when not used. Several features use Javascript with you can turn off here

Layout

Switch to the List layout for an index with chronologycally listed news items or Grid layout for a block based layout. To see the change you need to reload the page

×