Microsoft plans to separate Edge from Windows 10 to add new features more frequently

Posted 03 May 2017 18:13 CEST by Jan Willem Aldershoff

To add new features faster to the Edge browser, Microsoft plans to update it through the Windows Store. Currently Edge is updated during each Patch Tuesday and with large updates such as the recent Creators Update.

Neowin reports that Microsoft plans to separate the update process of Edge from Windows 10 updates. This should happen by September this year when the next large Windows 10 update should become available. This way the software giant is able to add new features to the browser more frequently. By adding new features faster, Microsoft likely hopes that more users will switch to Edge.

Worldwide Edge has a market share of 3.7% according to StatCounter. Internet Explorer still holds a market share of 9%. Microsoft’s browsers combined are installed on 12.7% of all desktop computers, far less than Google’s Chrome (63%) and Mozilla’s Firefox (15%).



Myce.com settings

Several settings at Myce.com can be changed, they are stored in cookies, which means they will be reset if you clear Myce.com cookies

Background

Change the background to a plain color or trianglified image (similar to the default image)

No tracking features

At Myce most social media feature are done server side and impose no privacy risk to the visitor when not used. Several features use Javascript with you can turn off here

Layout

Switch to the List layout for an index with chronologycally listed news items or Grid layout for a block based layout. To see the change you need to reload the page

×