‘Microsoft will block second hand games in next Xbox’

Posted 06 February 2013 19:46 CET by Jan Willem Aldershoff

The website Edge-online reports that Microsoft will block second hand games in the next Xbox. To control this, the console will require an ‘always on’ internet connection. Games will have an activation code which have no use to someone else than the first buyer of the game.

The website claims to have spoken to a source that had first hand experience with the next Xbox, code named Durango. The source also states that Microsoft is committed to online functionality but that games will continue to be available on discs. The console will support 50 GB Blu-ray discs, like the Playstation.

Also the specifications are confirmed by the source, the next Xbox will have an AMD eight-core x64 1.6GHz CPU, a D3D11.x 800MHz graphics card and 8GB of DDR3 RAM. Also an improved version of Kinect should become available with the device. It’s expected that Sony’s next generation console will be launched at the 20th of February, the release date for the next Xbox has not been announced.

BradWright
Posted on: 06 Feb 13 19:36
I doubt most gamers would do this (I'm not a gamer, so I don't really care), but it sounds like gamers should not buy ANY new games for a while, and just keep playing the games they already have for a while longer. Send a message to Microsoft, Sony, etc., that if people can't resell their used games (or trade them in on new games), they won't buy the new ones either. I bet it wouldn't take long to reverse this decision after stock values go down because of the plunge in sales, and share holders start losing money. That's all it's really about anway; keeping the shareholders happy, not the gamers.

CharmedonWB
Posted on: 06 Feb 13 23:57
So MS is joining the b/s party too. When will people finally revolt against all this corporate greed. There is a used market for just about everything--people need to get together and sue both Sony and Microsoft for this nonsense.

TSJnachos117
Posted on: 07 Feb 13 00:22
Great. At this rate, no more second-hand anything. Just you watch... the MPAA will join the BS party, too (Sony will probably help them make the switch). They will probably be followed by the RIAA.

Unfortunately, people will lie down and take it. This isn't exactly the first time M$ pulled this kind of crap. I can't imagine it would be easy to find a used version of Windows or Office that one can actually activate. Seriously.

Zod
Posted on: 07 Feb 13 01:42
I would imagine sales decline. There's whole religion of people out there that buy a game for 60.. play it.. finish it. Then sell it for 40 or 50. Thus only cositng 15-20 to play a game. Then use the proceeeds to go and buy the next game.

If both consoles do this then were kind of screwed. It's either give up video games, buy a really expensive PC or play old retro games.

On the other hand if only one of the two new console opts for this, the other will be the official winner of the next gen consoles.

CharmedonWB
Posted on: 07 Feb 13 03:55
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSJnachos117

You are absolutely right, people will lie down and take this. Sony has talked about this foolishness for the longest and I've read in forums where people basically say that they have no problems with it.

ChristineBCW
MyCE Die Hard
Posted on: 07 Feb 13 12:39
I've heard comments that evaluated the Gamer Mentality as "If Gamers were good, logical thinkers, they wouldn't be wasting time on games at all."

So they might 'take it' since Logical. Productive Use Of Time & Money is definitely not part of the Gamer Mentality, right? In fact, logical and productive use of time and money are probably the exact opposite of the needs for true gamer mentality.

Maybe they'll take it and learn to like it.

Those EULAs probably talk only about issuing a 'license to play' not to own the property anyway. I think the next step will be to insert a time-limit on Plays and perhaps even a time-limit BETWEEN games - "Sorry, you haven't played this for 24 hours - so now you owe us more money and we'll let you play again."

I wonder if this 'no second uses' will shut down all the game-rental facilities? Holy Blockbuster, Batman!!

Mr. Belvedere
Posted on: 07 Feb 13 14:34
This is just in: Microsoft assumes the console is unhackable and unmodifyable. It also assumes the games are well protected.

There is a reason why not many people buy a Wii-U ....

ChristineBCW
MyCE Die Hard
Posted on: 07 Feb 13 17:47
After "unhackable" and "unmodifyable", I'd recommend Microsoft tack in "undesireable" in that string.

ivid
Posted on: 07 Feb 13 19:43
Next years headline will read something like "Xbox 720 sees unprecedented number of modded systems"...

News like this makes me feel I'll go back to modding my consoles like i did with my 1st gen Xbox and PS1.

And always ON just to be able to play? Epic FAIL! And to think I was all excited for a new gen Xbox. Now all I want to do is boycott it when I read this kind of BS.

Christine not sure where you heard/read that but whoever suggested that is a absolute epic fool with absolute zero understanding of a gamer's mentality. As if you can lump all gamers into one category. Pure idiocy and I'm sure you agree

I suppose by the same fools logic that all book readers can be lumped into some nonsensical category of being lazy do-nothing's wasting their imaginations instead of being productive.

ivid
Posted on: 07 Feb 13 19:48
Zod, not only is ther a whole religion around it, there's a whole business model too at EBgames, best buy and future shop. Have you see how much EB charges for a used game, after paying a fraction of the amount when they bought it from someone? Let's hope a big player like EBgames steps in a quashes this BS.

ChristineBCW
MyCE Die Hard
Posted on: 08 Feb 13 11:59
Thanks, Ivid. I think the points are best demonstrated by your commentary.