Latest Updates

New Threshold screenshots show start menu and windowed apps

Posted 21 July 2014 21:03 CET by Bavo Luysterborg

Myce managed to get 2 new Windows Threshold screenshots, one shows the new start menu, the other shows the windowed apps.

The build pictured in the screenshots, build 9795, was compiled on July 13th and is part of the uip_dev feature build lab (FBL). UIP stands for User Interface & Platform so it is basically just the team responsible for UX changes like the start menu and windowed apps plus some under the hood kernel changes.

You may notice that this build doesn’t include the Modern UI titlebars previously rumoured by Neowin, that is because different features are built in different FBLs, once a feature is stable enough it gets merged into the Winmain branch and then back into the different FBL branches. Uip_dev is not the only lab where the stuff like windowed apps is being worked on, the new titlebars are quite jerky in some of the current builds, that also applies to current uip_dev builds which for now resort to the regular titlebar until the proposed modern titlebar functionality gets a bit more fine tuned.

Although we have faith that these screenshots are indeed legit, it is always a good idea to take this kind of news with a grain of salt.

That Start menu looks like a big bag of hurt. If they don't let users remove the Modern tiles on the right side, I can't see using the thing.

Start menu replacement programs may have a much longer life than anyone at Microsoft anticipates.

I really like the way this looks. Now, just update those Live Tiles and bring back AeroGlass.

License To Print Money - Reinstated.

Blown to smitherines
Aeroglass is awesome.

Whomever the windows 8 ui stylist is at Microsoft, they need pimp-slapping, followed by launching directly into the sun.

If I was Microsoft, I'd invest/buy into the aerospace industry to achieve that goal, sooner rather than later.

It fits into the Gates philanthropy of saving the human race. We all know it's the right thing to do.

I should start a new show: Pimp My Windows. I could probably make it into a reality show hosted by some rapper who likes to exhibit his works.

I much prefer the term 'Programs' to 'Apps'.

I wish they would stop trying to be mac, linux and smartphone and be a serious operating system again.

I agree Steve33,
I suppose "Apps" is the latest new buzzword, What's wrong with "programmes," after all if you think about it a programme and an App aren't the same thing. To me an App is something that bolts on to a programme like Firefox's add ons and extensions.
I do suppose this as a crossover from the smart phone market.

That supposed screen shot is just terrible! Oh dear, what will it be like, no Aero, awkward to use, ugly and very confusing.

Administrator, Software Editor and Head of Promotions
Oh dear, not another picture book.

Register to

Register in 10 seconds, pick a username, enter your mail address and proof you're human, that's all!

An username is required and can only contain letters and numbers
Email is required, we'll send the password there

Welcome back

Sign in with your Myce account. Not a member yet? Create an account

A username is required and can only contain letters and numbers
A password is required

Post your comment settings

Several settings at can be changed, they are stored in cookies, which means they will be reset if you clear cookies