Sony might reveal the Playstation 4 on February the 20th. The company has announced a Playstation event on that day. The Wall Street Journal claims that Sony will use it to announce its next generation console. The specifications are never officially confirmed but many rumors have been floating around the internet.
From the official invitation of the Playstation event on February the 20th and the cryptic movie Sony has put up it’s unclear what the event is about. But according to the Wall Street Journal the event will be used to launch the Playstation 4 which till now was code named Orbis. Undisclosed sources of the newspaper have confirmed the rumors.
The actual sales of the Playstation 4 would start this year, before the holiday season. It’s expected that the Xbox 720 / Durango will also become available at that time.
The specifications of the Playstation 4 haven’t been officially released but many rumors around the internet pretty much say the same thing. Here are most of the specifications compiled:
- AMD APU (quad core 2.9 Ghz CPU with AMD HD 6550 GPU integrated)
- 8 -16 GB of RAM
- 160-256 GB HDD
- Blu-ray drive
- Ethernet and Wifi
- Possible 4k / UltraHD support
- Playstation 4 games will likely be tied to the Playstation Network account to prevent second hand game trading
- Not backwards compatible with the Playstation 2
- Support for Gaikai Cloud, a service that allows you to stream games from their powerfull, so you can play high end games on your slower hardware
According to the sources of the Wall Street Journal the Playstation 4 would not mainly be a hardware upgrade. Sony would also emphasize on the ‘social aspects of gaming’ with the new console.