Movie spending grows as piracy fails to match theatrical experience

Posted 15 March 2012 13:00 CET by Justin_Massoud

Home video and box office ticket sales may be down in the U.S., but IHS Screen Digest believes total spending on movies will grow nonstop for the next four years.

IHS counted the purchase and rental of Blu-ray and DVDs, streaming subscriptions, video on-demand services and box office ticket sales in its tally. The expected annual growth — from $64.2 billion this year to nearly $69 billion in 2015 — has emerging economies to thank, explained Richard Cooper, senior analyst for video, IHS.

“The expansion in global movie spending is being driven almost entirely by consumers in the growing economies of Asia-Pacific, Latin America, and Central and Eastern Europe,” said Cooper. “This is occurring despite the fact that the three regions combined accounted for only about one-third of total global movie spending in 2011.”

Ironically, many countries within those regions have been dubbed hotbeds for piracy — Mexico, Russia and India to name three. But IHS believes that the more developed those areas become, the less likely it is for citizens to pirate.

Cooper noted that foreign theaters in particular will reap the benefits, with customers who’d rather see a new film on the big screen than download a low-quality version flocking to the box office. China’s presence in particular will grow by leaps and bounds. According to the research group, the country saw eight new screens opened each day last year. That trend will likely continue, with China and other emerging economies expected to contribute $6 billion of a total $10 billion in increased box office ticket sales between 2011 and 2015.

Online and disc-based sales, however, will stagnate in developed markets, Cooper explained. Consumers are tightening their belts when it comes to DVDs and Blu-ray Discs, but renting is still a popular alternative.

Dennis_Olof
Posted on: 15 Mar 12 20:02
Well, if they could provide something exclusive I would go more often to the cinema. If they had 4k digital display, less seats so you get more room, and just more comfort I would say thats a winner.

And screens like omnimax kind of dome shame. Then it would be worth the money as you could not have that at home, wouldn't be practical. But I feel the cinema is just as a livingroom at home. Why would I spend more money on a movie and I get nothing special for it ?

If they all go digital to 4k, and this in turn reduces prices of the movies at the cinema becaus of cheaper distribution, and having the option to premier a movie on like 20000 screens the same day, then I say they would be doing something right.

Otherwise, no, I will stay at home and save my money for something else.

weedougie
Posted on: 15 Mar 12 23:28
They will have to produce better films to make me go to the cinema or buy a DVD.

Mirror007
Posted on: 16 Mar 12 05:30
My theatrical experience: laser pointers on the screen, kids who throw popcorn at other people, mobile phones ringing, people using their mobile phones, 30 minutes of ads before the movie starts, the feet of the guy behind me above my head or in the back of my seat, kids talking and making jokes in movies which are above their age, bright mobile phone screens of the chick next to me who can't resist facebooking during a movie, etc.

And usually most of them altogether during one single "theatrical experience" ... and for that I have to pay 12 euro for the movie plus 8 euro for coke + popcorn.

Dennis_Olof
Posted on: 16 Mar 12 09:54
Yeah, theaters are the new "kinder garten" for modern day familys. They even has special movies for people with babys. So they can all cram together and watc a movie with lots of babys messing around etc. Common.

What happend to the exclusive and good expecience from the old days. No wonder people don't go to cinemas any more.

Wombler
Administrator & Reviewer
Posted on: 16 Mar 12 12:16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_Olof

Otherwise, no, I will stay at home and save my money for something else.
TBH it would take a lot more than that to bring me back to the cinema.

It used to be the case that I loved going to the cinema and the surround sound was the big part of the experience for me.

With home cinema systems so good now I'd rather watch HD movies in the comfort of my own home with all the facilities I need to hand.

Plus the cost of going to the cinema as a family is so expensive now, when you add everything up, that I prefer buying the Blu-ray to enjoy whenever I choose.

Wombler

Dennis_Olof
Posted on: 16 Mar 12 22:09
Wombler yeah I agree, the problem is prices are high, but you don't get anything for it. Same old cinema, same old seats and so on. I do prefer watching things in real omnimax, you know where the screen is HUGE and all around you, those cimenas looks like a golfball from the outside. You can't beat that experience, but then again not realistic for movies probably.

And you are right, people who watch a lot of movies and enjoy it, they do get a projector, soundsystem and so on, and probably only go to the cinema to watch a few movies, as before they where the movie-goers that spent money on it and over the years, this income has been lost for the cinemas.

If you pay lots of money for cinema, you do expect something for that money, way more than you get in todays world. And with the economy people do save money in anyway you can so this is allso bad for lots of things out there.

Anyway, I do hope that 4K cinemas will at least bring the prices down a bit, as the distribution and all of that is a huge cost from what I have been reading on the net about this issue. But I guess the end consumer prices will stay the same regardless.

Wombler
Administrator & Reviewer
Posted on: 17 Mar 12 11:37
Well I must admit the last time I went to the cinema was to see The Adventures of Tintin in 3D so that did offer something new, but for me 3D is more of a novelty than an essential item.

Wombler

Register to Myce.com

Register in 10 seconds, pick a username, enter your mail address and proof you're human, that's all!

An username is required and can only contain letters and numbers
Email is required, we'll send the password there

Welcome back

Sign in with your Myce account. Not a member yet? Create an account

A username is required and can only contain letters and numbers
A password is required