USB 3.0 PCs may be ready this year
By year-end, computers could ship with USB 3.0, according to industry sources at the SuperSpeed USB Developers Conference in Tokyo.
A report by Tech-On says this capability will come from Taiwanese PC manufacturers. The key enabler is the host controller integrated circuit, which is mounted onto a PC or other USB 3.0 device. NEC Electronics of Japan created the world’s first host controller and shipped samples last montn, paving the way for volume production in September.
It’s worth noting that a report from March pegged the arrival of USB 3.0 for 2010. Perhaps the development from NEC has changed that. If the sources at SuperSpeed are correct, 140 million PCs will carry USB 3.0 by 2011 and another 200 million will follow in 2012.
The obvious benefit to USB 3.0 is speed, at nearly 5 Mbps Gbps, but the Tech-On story says the industry wants to expand applications to include HD streaming. While USB 2.0 can stream video from netbooks to external monitors, one measurement equipment engineer said the next specification could possibly support “1080i HD video streams for sure, maybe more.”
It’s a little early to count on that, especially considering the source is unnamed. However, as more devices support wireless transfer, and other transfer methods getting faster, such as SDHC, USB 3.0 better have some new tricks up his sleeve.
11 Comments on USB 3.0 PCs may be ready this year
- Posts: 1
- Posted on: 03 Jul 09 05:49
- Posts: 506
- Posted on: 03 Jul 09 11:02
- the already noted 5Mbps thing; obviously incorrect.
- stating that USB 3.0 will be able to stream 1080i. USB 2.0 appears to already be able to work with 1080p??? So?
- Posts: 724
- Posted on: 03 Jul 09 17:32
- Posts: 998
- Posted on: 03 Jul 09 20:04
- Posts: 174
- Posted on: 03 Jul 09 20:39
- Posts: 883
- Posted on: 03 Jul 09 21:38
- Posts: 1631
- Posted on: 04 Jul 09 19:29
- Posts: 72
- Posted on: 05 Jul 09 10:50
- Andrew P.
- Posts: 2
- Posted on: 08 Jul 09 20:21
- Posts: 1
- Posted on: 13 Jul 09 13:13
- Posts: 20
- Posted on: 25 Aug 09 19:44
Most popular headlines
- Tue 16 Apr 16:12 by DoMiN8ToR
- Software, Windows 8
The upcoming update of Windows 8 might allow users to boot to the desktop again.
- Fri 12 Apr 15:10 by DoMiN8ToR
The number of jobs in the film and music industry in the United States has increased despite the claimed negative effects of illegal downloads.
- Tue 9 Apr 14:23 by DoMiN8ToR
The PirateBay has moved to the domain thepiratebay.gl in fear that their previous domain would be ceased by Swedish authorities
- Wed 17 Apr 13:57 by DoMiN8ToR
- Solid State (ssd)
A Chinese tech site has posted a picture that reveals details on Intel's 9 series chipset.