Lite-On EZ-DUB SHW-1635SU DVD-Writer Mini-Review
Lite-On EZ-DUB SHW-1635SU
We at CDFreaks would like to present a mini-review of one of the latest DVD-Writers from Lite-On: the EZ-DUB SHW-1635SU DVD Writer.
The Lite-On EZ-DUB SHW-1635SU supports 16x DVD±R, 8x/6x DVD+RW/DVD-RW and 8x/4x DVD+R DL/DVD-R DL writing technology, allowing Double/Dual Layer discs of 8.5Gb to be written.
Let us take a look at some of the company information found at the Lite-On Website:
Lite-On Technology Corporation’s vision is to become a world-class excellent company. The company will accomplish this not only through leading global R&D and manufacturing technologies, but also through the quality and distinctiveness of its products.
To reach these levels of excellence and become the leading navigator in 3C convergence, Lite-On plans to generate between five and six billion US dollars in annual revenue while establishing itself as a global market-leader by mastering all of its product-line industries. The company’s ability to generate profits will guide the industrial circles in which it competes. While accomplishing these goals, corporate management will continue its policies of absolute financial transparency, independence, and impartiality.
The company’s pursuit of excellence does not end there. To create better lives for people, Lite-On will also continue to develop advanced and integrated digital products while furnishing customers with innovative values that lead to true, beneficial relationships. Lite-On wants to be the best strategic partner for each of its customers.
Led by a professional team with promise and lofty ethics, Lite-On will also strive to be an excellent corporation with peak efficiency. The company will provide shareholders and investors with an appealing return-on-investment. Additionally, Lite-On will supply employees with an optimum work environment that helps them learn new skills and grow professionally for the future. Lite-On seeks to become one of the best corporations that people in greater China can choose for a career.
Facts & Figures:
- Lite-On Technology reported its global consolidated June revenue of NT$13.7B, increasing 4% on a YoY basis.
- Accumulated revenue in 2005 totalled NT$75.6B, growing 2% on a YoY basis.
If you are interested in reading more company information, please visit: Lite-On
These are the specifications of this drive, found at the Lite-On webpage:
- External DVD-Dual drive, supports DVD+R / DVD+R9 / DVD+RW / DVD-R / DVD- R9/DVD-RW / DVD-ROM / CD-R / CD-RW / CD-ROM format
- Support Double Layer DVD+/- R9 Recording Function
- Portable design, using USB2.0 connection to ensure the best performance
- Plug & Play, and emergency manual eject function is embedded
- SMART-BURN(*1) avoiding Buffer Under Run error, Automatically adjusting writing strategy & running OPC to provide the best burning quality
- SMART-X(*2) function adjusts CD-DA / VCD / DVD data extraction to a fastest allowable speed according to both data request rate from host and disk quality
- VAS(*3) system reduce vibration and noise during recording and reading
- Support Fixed Packet, Variable Packet, TAO, SAO, DAO, Raw Mode Burning, and Over-Burn
- DVD read compliant: DVD single/dual layer (PTP/OTP), DVD-R(3.9GB/4.7GB), DVD-R multi-borders, DVD+R/ DVD+R9 Single/ multi-sessions, DVD-RW, and DVD+RW
- CD read compliant: CD-DA, CD-ROM, CD-ROM/XA, Photo-CD, Multi-session, Karaoke-CD, Video-CD, CD-I FMV, CD Extra, CD Plus, CD-R, and CD-RW
- Support both 8cm and 12cm disc of CD and DVD family
- Conform to Orange Book: Part 2 CD-R Volume 1, Part 2 CD-R Volume 2 Multi Speed, Part 3 CD-RW Volume 1 (1x, 2x, and 4x), Part 3 CD-RW Volume2: High Speed, Part 3 CD-RW Volume 3: Ultra Speed
- DVD+R 16X(21600KB/sec) maximum by CAV
- DVD-R 16X(21600KB/sec) maximum by CAV
- DVD+R9 8X(10800KB/sec) maximum by Z-CLV
- DVD-R9 4X(5400KB/sec) maximum by CLV
- DVD+RW 8X(10800KB/sec) by Z-CLV
- DVD-RW 6X(8100KB/sec) by CLV
- 16X(21600KB/sec) maximum by CAV
- Access time:
- CD-R 48X(7200KB/sec) maximum by CAV
- CD-RW 24X(3600KB/sec) maximum by Z-CLV in UltraSpeed disc
- 48X(7200KB/sec) maximum by CAV
- Access time:
(Maximum transfer rate is limited by PC system or interface speed)
- Buffer Size:
- PC Required :
- Pentium 4 1.3GHz or higher CPU and 128MB or higher RAM are required 650MB HDD available capacity; and 9GB free space for creating a DVD image file
- Compatibility :
- Microsoft Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP
- MTBF(Life) :
- 70000 POH
- S/N Ration
- Environment :
- Operating 5 C to 35 C; Relative Humidity: 15% to 80%
- Non-Operating -40 C to 60 C; Relative Humidity: 15% to 95%
- Dimension :
- 172(W) x66(H) x 243(D) mm
- Weight :
- Power plug type :
- US, EU, UK, and AUS
*1 SMART-BURN: Smart Monitoring & Adapting Recording Technology for BURNing.
*2 SMART-X: Smart Monitoring & Adjusting Read-speed Technology for eXtraction.
*3 VAS: Vibration Absorber System
What’s inside the box?
On this page, we will take a look at what the drive came shipped with, a look at the drive and its technology.
Below you will see the contents of the retail pack:
- The external drive
- Power supply
- Power cable
- USB2.0 Cable
- CyberLink PowerDVD 5
- Nero OEM Suite CD:
- DOS Driver
- Nero Express 6.6
- InCD 4
- NeroVision Express 3
- Nero BackItup
- MPEG-2 SVCD/DVD Plug-In
- DVD-Writer Manual
- Acrobat Reader
- Lite-On EZ-DUB Installation CD
- EZ-DUB Installation and Operation Guide
- Safety Notice
Now it’s time to take a look at the drive itself:
A typical Lite-On bezel – it has an eject button, a LED (green – for read and write – we prefer a different LED colour though for writing), and an emergency eject hole. The logos located on the loading tray include, a DVD Alliance DVD+R DL logo a DVD-R/RW/R DL Forum logo, and a CD-RW Ultra Speed logo.
On top of the drive we found the EZ-DUB logo and the operations buttons for the EZ-DUB feature.
On the bottom of the drive we found two stickers, and we can read it was manufactured in China, October 2005.
On the back of the drive we can find the USB2.0 Connector and power connector. We miss a power-switch to physically turn the drive off when it is not in use.
Now, let us install the drive and check out the features on the next page…