Sony DRU-840A Multi-Format DVD Burner
Sony USA was kind enough to send us their latest Internal DVD Multi-Format DVD Burner the Sony DRU-840A. The DRU-840A now supports 20X max recording of DVD+R discs in addition to recording all available DVD Formats, including DVD-RAM. With up to 20X max DVD+R burning, the DRU-840A will deliver a fully recorded disc in about 5 minutes, and can achieve 20X speed on supported 16X DVD+R discs. Like previous Sony DVD Burners, the DRU-840A is also an ultra high performance CD Burner.
Sony’s DRU-840A burner includes award winning Nero 7 Express, with the basic tools necessary to burn video, audio, or data projects onto DVD or CD. The drive comes equipped with an ATAPI interface for easy installation inside a PC and includes a black replacement bezel to match black-colored PC cases. In addition to 20X DVD+R recording, the DRU-840A supports recording Double/Dual Layer DVD+R discs at up to 12X. DVD+RW and DVD-RAM discs can also be recorded at up to 12X speed. DVD-RW discs are recorded at up to 6X, CD-R discs at up to 48X, and up to 32X for CD-RW discs.
We took a quick look at the company information found at Sony web pages:
Sony Corporation of America
Sony Corporation of America, based in New York City, is the U.S. subsidiary of Sony Corporation, headquartered in Tokyo. Sony is a leading manufacturer of audio, video, communications, and information technology products for the consumer and professional markets. Its music, motion picture, television, computer entertainment, and online businesses make Sony one of the most comprehensive entertainment companies in the world. Sony’s principal U.S. businesses include Sony Electronics Inc., Sony Pictures Entertainment, Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc., and a 50% interest in Sony BMG Music Entertainment, one of the largest recorded music companies in the world. Sony recorded consolidated annual sales of approximately $64 billion for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2006, and it employs 158,500 people worldwide. Sony’s consolidated sales in the U.S. for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2006 were $16.7 billion.
Corporate Fact Sheet (August 2006):
- Sony Electronics Inc.
- Sony Entertainment Inc.
- Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc.
- Sony DADC and Sony Entertainment Distribution
- Sony Connect Inc.
- Sony Plaza Public Arcade and Sony Wonder Technology Lab (New York)
- Annual Sales / Sony Corporation Consolidated
- $64 billion (Fiscal Year ended March 31, 2006)
- Sales in the United States: $16.7 billion
158,500 employees worldwide (Fiscal Year ended March 31, 2006)
U.S. R&D and Engineering Facilities
- San Jose, CA
- San Diego, CA
- Boulder, CO
- Park Ridge, NJ
Major Manufacturing Sites in North America
- Dothan, AL
- Pittsburgh, PA
- Pitman, NJ
- San Diego, CA
- Terre Haute, IN
- Tijuana, Mexicali and Nuevo Laredo, Mexico
More about Sony
- A leading audio-visual electronics and information technology company in the U.S. and worldwide
- A leading motion picture and television production company in the U.S. and worldwide
- The co-developer of the CD, DVD, Super Audio CD and Blu-ray Disc
- The developer, manufacturer, and marketer of PlayStation®, PlayStation®2 and PlayStation® Portable game consoles
- The inventor of a wide range of consumer audio-visual products, such as the BRAVIA TVs, SXRD, FD Trinitron® WEGA® television, Mavica® digital camera, Digital8® Handycam® camcorder, Walkman® personal stereo, Hi-MD/Net MD MiniDisc player/recorder, and the Memory Stick®IC flash media. Also an innovator in IT products, including VAIO® personal computers, FD Trinitron® computer display and the 3.5-inch floppy disk; and professional products, highlighted by the HDCAM® 24-P, Digital Betacam® and DVCAM® VTR and camera formats
- A publicly held company, with shares listed on 16 stock exchanges worldwide, including Tokyo, New York, and London
- A company with 936 consolidated subsidiaries worldwide.
As you can see Sony is a very large company with a long history. And now let’s take a look at the drive.
Now let us take a look at the specifications of the new Sony DRU-840A.
The Sony DRU-840A was received in the retail packaging and comes with everything you need for a quick and easy installation. The retail package includes the following items:
DRU-840A User’s Guide
Software Quick-Start Guide
Black replacement bezel and installation instructions
US Product Warranty and Registration
As you can see the package contains virtually everything you need to get started.
Let’s take a look at retail package:
Box Left and Right
Box Top and Bottom
Here’s a closer look at the drive itself:
Drive Front (white bezel)
On the drive tray from left to right we have a Compact Disc Ultra Speed ReWriteable logo, DVD Alliance (DVD+R/RW) logo, DVD Multi Recorder logo, LED indicator, eject button and finally emergency eject hole.
Drive Left and Right
Now let’s move on to the next page were we will take a look at the features of the drive…