Intel DC S3700 Review – a full Performance Characterisation
- Introduction & Market Positioning
- Testing Methodology
- SNIA IOPS Test
- SNIA Write Saturation Test
- SNIA Throughput Test
- SNIA Latency Test
- Myce/OakGate 4K Read and Write Latency Tests
- Myce/OakGate Reads and Writes Tests
- Myce/OakGate 4K Mixed Reads/Writes Tests
- Myce/Oakgate Entropy Tests
- Power Consumption and Data Reliability
- Comments on this review (2)
Introduction & Market Positioning
Review: Intel SSD DC S3700 200GB
Welcome to Myce’s first Enterprise class Solid State Storage (SSS) solution review.
We are delighted that this review is for an Intel DC S3700 200GB SATA SSD, which is widely regarded as a first class Enterprise solution.
The DC S3700 is a breakthrough product for Intel, which has propelled them into, once again, being a competitive player in the Enterprise Space. With the DC S3700 Intel has pushed a new byword and yardstick into the evaluation of SSS solutions – “Consistency”.
So, we were excited to see if the DC S3700 would live up to its reputation when scrutinised by Myce’s new OakGate Technology based Enterprise Test Bench.
I take this opportunity to thank the excellent Intel personnel that quickly and effectively responded to some questions that were thrown up by our testing – more about this later.
Market Positioning and Specification
As the ‘Data Center’ in the name suggests, Intel targets the DC S3700 directly at modern day Data Centres.
Here is how Intel positions the DC S3700 (taken directly from Intel’s web site).
The pictures above serve as a useful reminder that the rate of data transfer is not really so much about the speed data moves at, but is about the width of the channel that it travels along. To use a well used analogy – the wider a motorway is (the more lanes it has) then the more cars that can pass along at any given speed.
Here is Intel’s detailed specification for the DC S3700 (taken directly from Intel’s Product Specification PDF) -
Now let’s head to the next page, to look at Myce’s Enterprise Testing Methodology…..
Get an alert
- I also use Avast, have for years, no FP. BUT ...
- Hey Doug , I have Avast on my laptop with Windows...
- Quote: Originally...
- I had issues with updating avast ( I have windows...
- You may be very surprised at the nand prices in...
- Checking the other thread and taking into account...
- Depends on the FP. I'd be inclined to mark 4...
- Quote: Originally...