Review: Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD
Reviewed by: Wendy Robertson
Provided by: Samsung
Firmware version: MATO1B6Q
The Samsung 750 EVO is aimed at the budget end of the consumer SSD market, and sits below the popular 850 EVO series of SSDs. The 750 EVO uses the same fully fledged MGX SSD controller found in the 850 EVO, but instead uses Samsung TLC planar NAND, rather than the more expensive and higher performing 3D V-NAND found in the Samsung 850 series SSDs.
The Samsung 750 EVO is available in capacities of 120GB, 250GB, and 500GB. The version I am looking at today is the 500GB version.
Samsung company information
Those of you that would like to find out more about Samsung, can do so at their website.
The Samsung 750 EVO SSD
Now it’s time to take a look at the drive itself and what it came shipped with.
Being a budget SSD, you get a bare drive and installation manual.
Samsung 750 EVO
Drive maintenance features
For Windows 7 and Windows 8 users, and some distributions of Linux, the Samsung 750 EVO series SSD supports ATA TRIM to keep the NAND clean. The Samsung 750 EVO series also has advanced garbage collection to clean the NAND during drive idle periods.
Samsung SSD Magician
The SSD Magician software allows the user to maintain the SSD, and has the following features.
- Disk drive: Brings up useful information about the SSD, including its health status and how much data has been written to the SSD.
- System info: Allows the user to see system and drive properties.
- Performance Benchmark: Performs a very basic benchmark on the SSD.
- Performance optimization: Performs a manual TRIM of the SSD.
- OS Optimization: Allows operating system features that can affect SSD performance, to be switched on or off.
- Firmware Update: Allows the firmware to be updated.
- Secure Erase: Sends a Secure Erase command to the SSD, clearing all NAND and returning the SSD back to its default factory state.
- Over Provisioning: Allows the user to set aside a given amount of NAND as a manual over provisioning area.
- SSD authenticity test: Checks to make sure that the SSD is a genuine Samsung SSD.
- Enable Rapid mode: Enables the 'Rapid mode' cache feature.
Data migration software is also available as a download from Samsung, which allows you to easily migrate your existing system installation over to your new SSD.
Let’s head to the next page where we take a look at our testing methods and the review PC....