Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD Review
- A closer look at the Samsung 840 Pro hardware
- Test PC and testing procedures
- Synthetic benchmarks
- IOMeter test results
- Anvil's Storage Utilities
- Real world tests
- Application and game loading performance
- Myce Reality Suite
- Speed degradation after heavy use
- Final thoughts and the conclusion
- Comments on this review (11)
It’s only a few short weeks ago that I reviewed the Samsung 830 series SSD. The 830 series SSD proved to be a strong performer, and a very reliable SSD. My review of the 830 series was late, and I published that review just days before Samsung released the new 840 series of SSDs.
In this review I will be taking a look at the new Samsung 840 Pro series SSD, in fact the 512GB version. Samsung are in a very strong position when it comes to sourcing components for their SSDs. They don’t have to look far as they make all the major components in-house, and that includes the SSD controller, the NAND, and even the cache.
The Samsung 840 Pro is aimed at the consumer and enterprise market segment. Let’s find out how this SSD performs in our range of tests.
Samsung company information
Samsung should need no introduction, but those of you who would like to find out more about Samsung, can do so at their website.
The Samsung 840 Pro – 512GB SSD
Now it’s time to take a look at the drive itself and what it came shipped with.
The SSD I received was a bare drive, and arrived in a cardboard box, with no markings.
Inside the box
The top of the unit is made of plastic with a metal shielding.
On the underside of the SSD, I found a label which displays the SSD model number, storage capacity, and indicating that the SSD was manufactured in the Korea.
The case itself is 7mm thick and designed to be housed in a standard 2.5 inch drive bay, or a 3.5 inch drive bay using a converter bracket.
Now let’s head to the next page, where we look in more detail at the Samsung 840 Pro SSD…..
Get an alert
- I was just looking at Tresorit for secure cloud...
- While chances are that all these modifications...
- Quote: Originally...
- Mr Gates must have worked for Uncle Sam at one...
- Great detective work there Sean with some scary...
- I wasn't swearing above about the data. Don't...
- Their media player (the last time I used it) also...
- Plus all and yes I mean all the other online...