It was roughly one year ago that I covered the Samsung 840 Pro SSD, and I found it a very impressive performer. Quite a lot has changed with the 840 Pro over that year. It has new firmware, and it now supports 'Rapid mode' via the Samsung Magician software. As we have already found out, Rapid mode can substantially boost performance, and in this article, I'll not only be testing the 840 Pro in Rapid mode, but also taking a look at what the latest 840 Pro firmware has to offer with regards to performance.
The model I'll be testing is the 256GB version.
So let's find out how this SSD performs in our range of tests.
Samsung company information
Samsung should need no introduction, but those of you who would like to find out more about Samsung, can do so at their website.
The Samsung 840 Pro - 256GB SSD
Now it’s time to take a look at the drive itself and what it came shipped with.
The review sample I received was the basic kit, which is the bare drive.
The software supplied, via download from the Samsung website, is as follows.
- Samsung Magician 4.3
- Samsung Migration software (not shown or tested)
The Samsung Magician software allows the user to maintain the SSD, and has the following features.
- Disk drive: Brings up useful information about the SSD, including its health status, and how much data has been written to the SSD.
- System info: Allows the user to see system and drive properties.
- Performance Benchmark: Performs a basic benchmark on the SSD.
- Performance optimization: Performs a manual TRIM of the SSD.
- OS Optimization: Allows operating system features, that can affect SSD performance, to be switched on or off.
- Firmware Update: Allows the Samsung 840 Pro firmware to be updated.
- Secure Erase: Sends a Secure Erase command to the SSD, clearing all NAND and returning the SSD back to its default factory state.
- Over Provisioning: Allows the user to set aside a given amount of NAND as a manual over provisioning area.
- SSD authenticity test: Checks to make sure that the SSD is a genuine Samsung SSD.
- Enable Rapid mode: Enables the NVELO 'Rapid' cache feature.
Let’s head to the next page where we take a look at our testing methods and the review PC....