Toshiba 1TB 2.5″ SATA HDD Review – Model MQ01ABD100
Review: Toshiba 1TB 2.5” 9.5mm 5400RPM Int. HDD
Despite how far SSDs have come, where even the most basic SSD beats every hard disk on the market on performance, hard disks do still currently have one significant advantage in that they are much more affordable for storing data. In this review, we will take a look at Toshiba’s latest 1TB 2.5" 9.5mm HDD, which features two platters that spin at 5400RPM. Many competing 1TB 2.5” hard disks have a 12.5mm height to fit in 3 platters, making them too tall for laptop bays designed to take a 9.5mm hard disk.
As a frequent use for large capacity HDDs is for storage of bulky files such as photos and video, in this review we will focus heavily on file handling performance, along with testing real world performance using VirtualBox.
Toshiba Company Information
Toshiba is a well-known manufacturer of a wide range of consumer electronics, including TVs, laptops, Ultrabooks and set-top DVD & Blu-ray players. They also make a wide variety of consumer and commercial equipment such as electric motors, photocopiers, LED lighting, imaging products such as for MRI and so on.
Further information on Toshiba can be found on their website.
Unlike most retail products, this hard disk was supplied in little other than an anti-static bag inside a heavily padded cardboard box.
Now, let’s take a look at the hard disk:
Close-up of auxiliary pins & SATA interface
The following are the specifications, as provided on the Toshiba website:
- Model: MQ01ABD100
- Formatted capacity: 1,000 GByte
- Form factor: 2.5 inch
- Interface type: Serial ATA
- Supported interface standards: ATA-8, Serial ATA 3.0
- Shock detection: Shock sensor circuit
- S.M.A.R.T.: The SMART command set is supported.
- Number of platters: 2
- Number of heads: 4
- Bytes/sector (Host): 512
- Bytes/sector (Disk): 4096 kByte
- Average seek time: 12 ms
- Maximum seek time: 22 ms
- Track-to-track seek time: 2 ms
- SATA (Host): max. 3.0 Gbit/s
- Rotational speed: 5,400 rpm
- Buffer size: 8,192 kByte
- MTTF: 600,000 Hours
- Seek error rate: 1 error per 10^6 seeks
- Non-recoverable error rate: 1 error per 10^14 seeks
- Start (Maximum): 4.5 W
- Seek (Average): 1.85 W
- Read (Average): 1.5 W
- Write (Average): 1.5 W
- Low-power idle (Average): 0.55 W
- Sleep (Average): 0.15 W
- Stand-by (Average): 0.18 W
- Supply voltage: +5 V (+/- 5 %)
- Drive width: 69.85 mm
- Drive height: 9.5 mm
- Drive depth: 100 mm
- Drive weight: 0.117 kg
- Drive orientation: The drive can be installed in all axes (6 directions)
- Operating: From 5 °C to 55 °C
- Non-operating: From -40 °C to 65 °C
- Operating: From 8 % to 90 %
- Non-operating: From 8 % to 90 %
- Operating (Maximum): 1 G, with 5 – 500 Hz
- Non-operating (Maximum): 5 G, with 15 – 500 Hz
- Operating (Maximum): 400 G, with 2 ms half sine wave
- Non-operating (Maximum): 900 G, with 1 ms half sine wave
- Shipping (Maximum): 0.7 m free drop with no unrecoverable error. Applied shocks in each direction of the drive’s three mutually perpendicular axes, one axis at a time (Packed in Toshiba’s original shipping package).
- Operating: From -300 m to 3,000 m
- Non-operating: From -300 m to 12,000 m
- Idle mode (Disk spinning): Max. 23 dB
- Random seek: Max. 24 dB
Now let’s head to the next page where we will look at our test PC and testing procedures…
Get an alert
- BTW a new upgrade offer is now available from...
- whats your statement have to do with Proper owner...
- The Samsung 65" is on sale at Future...
- Quote: Originally...
- BD Rebuilder added full 3D support back in...
- Quote: Originally...
- Unless the discs are used for some consumer...
- Thank you for this nice review,...