Transcend JetFlash 620 64GB pen drive review
JetFlash 620 64GB
Transcend has kindly given us a lend of its JetFlash 620 64GB secure USB pen drive for review, featuring a throughput of up to 32MB/s read and 18MB/s write and a Private Zone which is a password protected hidden volume using 256-bit AES encryption.
USB pen drives have come on a long way since the very first pen drives that held just 64MB of data. Before the pen drive, the only way to carry a large quantity of data was with a removable media drive, such as Zip Disk and recordable CD/DVD. USB pen drives have the huge advantage in that they work on pretty much any PC with a USB port, are more rugged than removable disks and some are small enough to fit on a keychain.
In this review, we will take a look at the performance, how it handles with various file systems such as exFAT and NTFS, its encryption software and how well its Private Zone performs.
Transcend Company Information
Transcend is a well-known manufacturer of memory products, including USB flash drives, flash memory cards, card readers, computer RAM and a variety of consumer electronics goods.
The company was founded in 1988 with its headquarters in Taipei, Taiwan and claim to be the first memory module manufacturer in Taiwan and also the second in the world to receive ISO 9001 certification. Their products are marketed around the world, serving all the major markets.
Further information on the Transcend Company Profile can be found on their website.
The Transcend JetFlash pen drive came in retail packaging, as shown in the following images:
Front / Back
What’s inside the package?
The following shows what the pen drive came with.
The package consists of the following:
- Transcend JetFlash Ultra Speed 620 64GB pen drive
- Card with warranty & password security usage info
- Flyer showing Transcend’s range of pen drive products
- Flyer showing Transcend’s media player products
The pen drive is simply plug & play, so nothing other than the pen drive is required to get started. The security software is preloaded on the pen drive itself.
Now, let’s take a look at the drive itself:
The pen drive itself is very compact and is slightly wider and about the same thickness as a USB ‘A’ plug, so should easily fit in USB ports that have limited space.
Operation mode indication
Like most pen drives, this one has an LED that serves to indicate power and activity. When powered up, it flashes blue to indicate activity and remains solidly lit when idle.
The following image shows it lit while plugged in my Netbook:
The following are the specifications, as provided on the Transcend website:
- Storage Capacity: 64GB (1GB = 1 billion bytes)
- Data Retention: 10 years
- Erase Cycles: >10,000 times
- Connector Durability: 10,000 times
- System Performance: Read: 32MB/sec (max.), Write: 18MB/sec (max.)
- Wear-levelling: Dynamic
- Power Supply: DC 5V±10%, Max current: 200 mA
- Temperature Range: Operation: 0-70°C, Non-Operating: -20°C-75°C
- Certificates: CE, FCC, BSMI
- Compact, streamlined design
- Includes JetFlash SecureDrive data protection software
- Downloadable JetFlash Elite data management tool
- Fully compatible with hi-speed USB 2.0
- Easy plug and play installation
- USB powered. No external power or battery needed
- LED indicates the usage status
- Limited Lifetime Warranty*
* Warranty requires online registration to activate
Additional specifications on the packaging:
- Dimensions: 60.9 x 19.3 x 8.5 mm
- Weight: 8.5g
- Certificates: FCC, CE, BSMI, C-Tick, KCC
- System Requirements:
- Windows 7/Vista/XP/2000/ME
- Mac OS 9.0 or later, Linux Kernel 2.4.2 or later
- JetFlash Elite only works in Windows
- Built-in 256bit AES encrypted password security
- Requires Windows, not Mac or Linux compatible
- Requires Administrator rights
For a pen drive, Transcend clearly makes sure every little specification and detail about it is revealed!
Now let’s head to the next page where we will look at our test PC and testing procedures…