The popular movie converter MakeMKV now also supports unencrypted Ultra HD Blu-ray discs, previously also DVDFab added support for such discs. While the ability to only convert unencrypted Ultra HD Blu-ray movies seems useless, it’s not.
The support for unencrypted discs by DVDFab and MakeMKV is fueled by the release of Ultra HD Blu-ray ripping software DeUHD. Using that software it’s possible to end up with an unencrypted Ultra HD Blu-ray movie that can be further processed with either DVDFab or MakeMKV.
The latest MakeMKV version also adds support for HEVC in MKV files and improves support for disks protected by BD-Java. MakeMKV is free while it’s beta but expires after 60 days. To reset the expiration date it’s possible to download the software again.
Here is the entire changelog:
- Added support for (non-encrypted) UHD discs
- Added support for HEVC in MKV files
- Improved support for discs with BD-Java protection
- Many small miscellaneous improvements
- Bug fixes:
- Restored compatibility with OS X 10.6