Many users that want to upgrade from Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 can’t upgrade and receive error codes 80240020 and 80080080. Two long threads on the Microsoft Answers forums show that many users receive the error messages. An user has posted the issues are likely caused by corrupt installation files, however a Microsoft moderator has stated there’s another reason.
According to Microsoft moderator Vidyaranjan A V the error code, “is an expected message indicating that when installation begins it may require user interaction.”
He advizes users to to wait until the PC receives a notification that the upgrade is available and to follow the instructions provided and adds, “Please note that there is no problem with your reservation or upgrade download. The upgrade download is not corrupt as some have stated, and you will be notified in the coming days or weeks when your device is ready to upgrade.”
User Denilson Alexandre Silva, who believes the error message is caused by data corruption has posted a solution that nevertheless appears to have helped several users. In order to get rid of the error messages he recommends the following steps.
- Go into “C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download” and delete everything in that folder.
- Now, run the command prompt as an administrator. Type in “wuauclt.exe /updatenow”.
- Go to your Control Panel > Windows Update and your Windows 10 should start re-downloading from scratch, hopefully without flaws this time.
For users that want to upgrade now, also the Microsoft moderator has a trick. By modifying the registry it’s possible to get rid of the errors and install Windows 10 immediately. Users can follow these instructions:
- Locate the registry key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade]
- It should exist, but if not, create it.
- Create a new DWORD (32-bit) Value with Name = “AllowOSUpgrade” (without the quotes), and set the Value = 0x00000001.
Obviously there’s also another way, yesterday Microsoft released the Media Creation Tool which also makes it possible to download and install Windows 10 immediately.